Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

250.64(C) GEC irreversible splices - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EBQ View Post
    Code:
    250.64(C) "GEC's shall be installed in one continuous length without a splice or joint except as permitted in (1) and (2)
      (1) Splicing shall be permitted only by irreversible compression-type  connectors listed as grounding and bonding equipment or by the  exothermic welding process.
    What's the reasoning behind the irreversible connectors requirement for the GEC? Is it to prevent tempering or to ensure proper surge current passage? Would a split bolt, acorn, or screw lug style connector work the same from a physics perspective? thanks
    The reason is because of Larry, the Cable Guy. He would always loosen the burndy to insert his ground wire and wasn't talented enough to tighten it back up. So the rule was changed to irreversible and that ended the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post
      I understand all that. The point I was wanting to make is that it's easier to intentionally ground your electrical system than it is to let time and nature take its course or to try and keep it isolated.
      That I can agree with, but for services, if incoming is already a grounded system, does it really matter if you ground it one more time?
      I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
        That I can agree with, but for services, if incoming is already a grounded system, does it really matter if you ground it one more time?
        No, it doesn't, but I think we're outnumbered by those that think it does.
        If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

The reason is because of Larry, the Cable Guy. He would always loosen the burndy to insert his ground wire and wasn't talented enough to tighten it back up. So the rule was changed to irreversible and that ended the problem.
          But Larry would loosen the GEC to GE connector to insert his ground wire all the same

Comment

Working...
          X