Wiring pole barn for client in MI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

250.32(A)

[COLOR=#000000]Exception: [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]A grounding electrode shall not be required where only a single branch circuit, including a multiwire branch circuit, supplies the building or structure and the branch circuit includes an equipment grounding conductor for grounding the normally non–current-carrying metal parts of equipment.

The way I've always understood this is that it is not required if you're supplying a separate building with a multi wire branch circuit because this typically would be less than 50 A so a number 4 wire may be a little excessive and you're sending a ground from the house. I would discuss this with the AHJ. I wish the NEC would simply state if you're supplying a building or shed of less than 50 Amps no electrode is required as none of us would put any electrode in the tool shed just because it has a lightbulb.
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Strombea View Post
      250.32(A)
      [COLOR=#000000]Exception: [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]A grounding electrode shall not be required where only a single branch circuit, including a multiwire branch circuit, supplies the building or structure and the branch circuit includes an equipment grounding conductor for grounding the normally non–current-carrying metal parts of equipment.[/COLOR]
      See post #8, the OP states he it is a feeder.

Roger
      [COLOR=#000000]

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Strombea View Post
        250.32(A)

[COLOR=#000000]Exception: [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]A grounding electrode shall not be required where only a single branch circuit, including a multiwire branch circuit, supplies the building or structure and the branch circuit includes an equipment grounding conductor for grounding the normally non–current-carrying metal parts of equipment.

The way I've always understood this is that it is not required if you're supplying a separate building with a multi wire branch circuit because this typically would be less than 50 A so a number 4 wire may be a little excessive and you're sending a ground from the house. I would discuss this with the AHJ. I wish the NEC would simply state if you're supplying a building or shed of less than 50 Amps no electrode is required as none of us would put any electrode in the tool shed just because it has a lightbulb.
        [/COLOR]
        This applies to more than just a house and a shed. It applies to any stand alone structure. Some common ones where you might not add an electrode being light poles, signs, gates, fuel dispenser, the vacuum station at car wash facility, drive up kiosks, a receptacle for an RV to plug into...
        I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Working...
        X