Grounding a Genset

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaradayFF

Hello,

Is there any technical information available out there for grounding an outdoor 200kW diesel generator? I'll be bonding my neutral of Y point to ground and running 3 phase wire+ ground to station switchboard. Tentatively thinking about using a ground rod to bond to the enclosure and the neutral point of the generator. Would love to read about some technical info to make sure I'm approaching this correctly.

Best wishes,
EE

(I'm generalizing a bit here)

If the genset is outside (and a standalone "structure") then it probably needs it's own GES which then ties to the building GES, OTOH if it's just outside a building but right next to it, then it would only need connecting to the building's grounding system.

Likewise, it depends on the ATS and whether that's switching the neutral (yes, then bond N to G at the genset; no, do not bond the N). Look to the definition of a Separate Derived System to see if the generator qualifies.

Is there a reason you don't plan to run a neutral from the genset?

(As always, more details are appreciated.)

ron

Sounds like only 3 wire loads, so you plan to use the generator as a separately derived source is good. No need to pull a neutral conductor downstream.

Review references in Article 250 for separately derived sources. You are on the right track

Status
Not open for further replies.