Bonding permanent surface outlet strip to single point ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geber

Occupation
PE, retired electronics engineer
In a radio room I desire to bond the permanently wired surface mounted outlet strip (120 V) to the single point ground to which all the radio equipment and antenna surge protectors are connected. Single point ground is a copper bus bar 0.25 in by 2 in by 20 in. Distance is about 2 ft. I prefer to run the connection on the surface rather than behind the drywall. Radios are about 4 public safety radios with outputs around 100 W.

I'm looking for suggestions on good ways to protect the bonding conductor (or I could just use one heavy enough to be self-protected) and make the connection at each end.

Radio equipment is electrically identical to typical amateur radio equipment, so NEC 810 Part III provides guidance, but shouldn't be binding since the radios are authorized by the military, not the FCC.

In addition to the bonding described above, the ground bus will be bonded to a ground rod outside the radio room, which in turn is bonded to the main grounding electrode conductor near the service panel.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Now you have a second path for fault current, electrically it better to keep the fault current with the circuit conductors to reduce the impedance. We can have a EGC on the outside of conduit for a max of 6 ft.

But I used to see a green 8 AWG conductor from all electrical boxes etc to a halo ground in AT&T cell sites

Take a look at this standard https://rfcafe.com/miscellany/homep...-Standards-Guidelines-Communication-Sites.htm
R56 is the gold standard for telecom sites

Geber

Occupation
PE, retired electronics engineer
Thanks for R56 reference

Thanks for R56 reference

Thanks for the R56 reference. I looked for it before but this time I found it. It cleared up some points about equipment grounding conductors. I don't see any specific requirement to bond outlet strips to the single point ground, beyond the connection of the single point ground to the ground rod and the grounding electrode conductor in turn.

As for two fault paths, the outer conductor of the coax cables will unavoidably create such a path, when the coaxes are attached. We plan to disconnect the coaxes from the transceivers, but not the single point ground, when not in use. We will not operate during thunderstorms (except walkie-talkie style units with rubber-ducky antennas) no matter how dire the emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.