Mystery Ufer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm working directly for the HO on a large addition. I just got the job so I really don't know what going on at the jobsite. The GC (who has his own electrician and is none to pleased that I'm doing the electrical work) sent the HO a text saying a Ufer was installed and the HO has to pay for it. I'm wondering why a Ufer would be needed for an addition. There is no detached part and both electrical panels (which are not in the addition) are existing with no change. Any ideas?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Did the electrical inspector certify the ufer? And is there an obvious "ufer" connection to tie into the ground system?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
IMHO if the existing building did not require or have a CEE, the NEC or local code may still require that a CEE be connected if the new footings create one.
If not, it may still be desirable to create and connect a CEE.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Goldie no need to use the new footing. If there is an existing CEE then that requirement is already satisfied.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What is the charge for the Ufer? My budget conscious SIL who happens to be a GC, says they are insignificant.

The text I saw did not specify an amount. The HO asked me what I thought it would be. I told him the ufer itself is just a turned up rebar end so not much, however if they CAD welded bare copper from there to someplace else, then it could get pricey.

kwired

Electron manager
What is the charge for the Ufer? My budget conscious SIL who happens to be a GC, says they are insignificant.
Correct, they are either putting rebar in the footing or they are not. Making it a CEE simply involves extending a conductor to the electrical equipment.

If they didn't intend to use (uncoated) steel reinforcement they don't have a CEE. NEC doesn't require you to install a CEE, but does require you to bond to one if it exists with exceptions for existing installations. You can intentionally create a CEE if the footing othewise wasn't going to qualify - but that is totally optional as written in NEC, maybe some places have different local rules.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Around here at least some cities require a ufer to be installed if there isn't one already and a certain amount of new footing is built. Just connect it to the existing service.

Status
Not open for further replies.