Pool bonding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pool bonding

There is a metal grate on a floor trench drain around a swimming pool. It goes around the entire pool with lengths of 10' for the metal grate. The trench drain itself is plastic. Anyone find a clean & quick way to bond these before? I will need to run a jumper between each section I plan to penetrate the side of the trench drain to somehow bond it.

TIA

Are the grates removable to remove debris from the trench? Complicates the bonding... James bonding...

Comment

Wow, that would be a pain. IMO, you should insist that the grates be plastic
      They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
      She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
      I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by PaulMmn View Post
        Are the grates removable to remove debris from the trench? Complicates the bonding... James bonding...
        Yes exactly that. I would need to run a jumper between each grate

Comment

Originally posted by Shockedby277v View Post
          Yes exactly that. I would need to run a jumper between each grate
          If not a jumper, a guaranteed-not-to-fail clip or lug that will re-connect a section of grate to the bonding system when it's replaced. Sort of like the lugs on the back of a meter. And this clip/lug will not fail after years of being removed and replaced by non-electrician life guards &c.

You'd have to have a continuous bar along the entire trench, with clips/lugs spaced to accept the grate, otherwise removing a section of grate would remove the bonding as well.

Comment

Why couldn’t I run a #8 solid the entire length and run a tail off to each piece of grate indivually? I would still need to find a acceptable method for attaching .... a lug with a through bolt will create issues and it isnt really thick enough to drill and tap ....

Comment

Originally posted by Shockedby277v View Post
              Why couldn’t I run a #8 solid the entire length and run a tail off to each piece of grate indivually? I would still need to find a acceptable method for attaching .... a lug with a through bolt will create issues and it isnt really thick enough to drill and tap ....
              You could do that but again the connections will be difficult. Why not push for plastic. The metal seems absolutely insane.
              They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
              She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
              I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Plastic way to go. There are few companies that makes custom stone grates if that's appealing.

Comment

How close to the pool is this drain?
                  Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Working...
                  X