Electrode sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Hill

For a 200 amp service, resi., 5/8 by 8' is required. Does a 400amp/320 continuous service require a 3/4 by 10' electrode? I feel like this was something that I had heard about. TIA!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
For a 200 amp service, resi., 5/8 by 8' is required. Does a 400amp/320 continuous service require a 3/4 by 10' electrode? I feel like this was something that I had heard about. TIA!

No, the service can be 6000 amps and the ground rod only needs to be 5/8" x 8' or 1/2" by 8' if listed. BTW, welcome to the forum

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
But Where in the NEC does it reference the size and depth of the Ground Rod?

Here for one

250.52(A)(5) Rod and Pipe Electrodes. Rod and pipe electrodes shall
not be less than 2.44 m (8 ft) in length and shall consist of the
following materials.
(a) Grounding electrodes of pipe or conduit shall not be
smaller than metric designator 21 (trade size 3∕4) and, where of
steel, shall have the outer surface galvanized or otherwise
metal-coated for corrosion protection.
(b) Rod-type grounding electrodes of stainless steel and
copper or zinc coated steel shall be at least 15.87 mm (5∕8 in.) in
diameter, unless listed.

Also

250.53(G) Rod and Pipe Electrodes. The electrode shall be installed
such that at least 2.44 m (8 ft) of length is in contact with the
soil. It shall be driven to a depth of not less than 2.44 m (8 ft)
except that, where rock bottom is encountered, the electrode
shall be driven at an oblique angle not to exceed 45 degrees
from the vertical or, where rock bottom is encountered at an
angle up to 45 degrees, the electrode shall be permitted to be
buried in a trench that is at least 750 mm (30 in.) deep. The
upper end of the electrode shall be flush with or below ground
level unless the aboveground end and the grounding electrode
conductor attachment are protected against physical damage as
specified in 250.10.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
No, the service can be 6000 amps and the ground rod only needs to be 5/8" x 8' or 1/2" by 8' if listed. BTW, welcome to the forum

I'm glad I found this answer, I've been searching all over the internet and my ( 2014 NEC) , I know get the latest version .. , and all I found was 250-52 (5) (b) stating the 5/8" rod is approved .. what's with the "unless listed clause" anyway I'd sure like to get a real instance of when that 3/4" inch rod would be required other than a engineers spec.

To meet some silly job spec.

I'm sure your right but it's got to have a place somewhere ... one would think. .. I'll followup if I ever decide to spend more time on the mystery ground rod.

Thank you. Sincerely, Mark

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm glad I found this answer, I've been searching all over the internet and my ( 2014 NEC) , I know get the latest version .. , and all I found was 250-52 (5) (b) stating the 5/8" rod is approved .. what's with the "unless listed clause" anyway I'd sure like to get a real instance of when that 3/4" inch rod would be required other than a engineers spec.

I'm sure your right but it's got to have a place somewhere ... one would think. .. I'll followup if I ever decide to spend more time on the mystery ground rod.

Thank you. Sincerely, Mark

The rod can be non-listed and have a 5/8" diameter, if it's a listed rod it can have a reduced diameter of 1/2". 3/4" X 10' rods are typically specified when people get all warm and fuzzy about what size the rod is that's pounded into the earth. The NEC is a minimum, IMO I say spec a larger rod if it makes you sleep better at night. :cool:

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
The customer has the money and asked for it.
Its the only rod you have on the truck.
Job specs.
You’ve had it in the shop for years and are tired of looking at it because you are reminded of that one and only time you goofed up?
Ok But ... were would that 3/4" rod be commonly found, maybe its designed for more surface area in a less conductive soil composition ..?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Ok But ... were would that 3/4" rod be commonly found, maybe its designed for more surface area in a less conductive soil composition ..?
By code, you would still need at least two, unless that extra surface area got you the 25 ohm. Threaded, they would be used for deep earth.

Guessing. I’ve never seen a 3/4 rod, let alone used one.

I agree with the ‘sleeping well’.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
You can use a 3/4" galvanized pipe

250.52(A)(5) Rod and Pipe Electrodes. Rod and pipe electrodes shall
not be less than 2.44 m (8 ft) in length and shall consist of the
following materials.
(a) Grounding electrodes of pipe or conduit shall not be
smaller than metric designator 21 (trade size 3∕4) and, where of
steel, shall have the outer surface galvanized or otherwise
metal-coated for corrosion protection.

(b) Rod-type grounding electrodes of stainless steel and
copper or zinc coated steel shall be at least 15.87 mm (5∕8 in.) in
diameter, unless listed.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Although the only time I’ve driven 3/4”x10 ‘ rods was quite some time ago when the job specs or if we were doing a 400 amp service would do the 3 rods in a triangle. Silly wasn’t it, just how eluding the grounding requirements really were when learning from one person to another.

But as far as a real world use now, one might find it beneficial if you are driving through a hole in concrete where you may get 8’ of rod in contact with soil but a portion may be above ground to attach to.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Although the only time I’ve driven 3/4”x10 ‘ rods was quite some time ago when the job specs or if we were doing a 400 amp service would do the 3 rods in a triangle. Silly wasn’t it, just how eluding the grounding requirements really were when learning from one person to another.

We have installed similar triad setups at the corners of the building with 3/4" X 10' rods.

Status
Not open for further replies.