Grounding Electrode Conductor vs. Bonding Jumper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey4U

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'm sure this dead horse has been beaten to death but I'm not sure how to look up answers here. I was told that if I have a grounding electrode and the grounding electrode conductor has over 25 ohms I need another grounding electrode. I was told that the original GEC had to be removed and an "unspliced" GEC had to be installed from the panel to the first electrode and on to the second electrode all in one piece. My opinion is that the first GEC meets the requirements of the Code and that the connection to the second electrode would be a bonding jumper and the first GEC should stay in place. Your thought?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My opinion is that the first GEC meets the requirements of the Code and that the connection to the second electrode would be a bonding jumper and the first GEC should stay in place. Your thought?
You are correct. The only advantage to an unbroken conductor is to save a clamp.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I join Larry in agreement.
250.64(C) has changed somewhat over the years and even today you will run into folks who any recall the words "shall be continuous"..

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm sure this dead horse has been beaten to death but I'm not sure how to look up answers here. I was told that if I have a grounding electrode and the grounding electrode conductor has over 25 ohms I need another grounding electrode. I was told that the original GEC had to be removed and an "unspliced" GEC had to be installed from the panel to the first electrode and on to the second electrode all in one piece. My opinion is that the first GEC meets the requirements of the Code and that the connection to the second electrode would be a bonding jumper and the first GEC should stay in place. Your thought?

What type of electrode? Only ground rods have the 25Ω maximum.

Trey4U

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What type of electrode? Only ground rods have the 25Ω maximum.

Here in Afghanistan all we have are ground rods and they're putting them at every panel no matter where or what kind they are. They automatically put in two to cover themselves. During ditch back fill the GEC from the first rod to the second got cut. The guy in charge said he had to change out the whole GEC to make it continuous. I thought I was right but wanted input from here. I didn't even try to explain.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here in Afghanistan all we have are ground rods and they're putting them at every panel no matter where or what kind they are. They automatically put in two to cover themselves. During ditch back fill the GEC from the first rod to the second got cut. The guy in charge said he had to change out the whole GEC to make it continuous. I thought I was right but wanted input from here. I didn't even try to explain.

Yes, you are correct. A good one from Mike:

119882d1515102700-gec-entering-enclosure-mike-holt-250-4.jpg

Nacho

Out of curiosity, since it isn't exactly specified in the book. How deep would the wire from ground rod "A" to "B" need to be per code? Would it need to be enclosed in conduit as well?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
250.64 covers this. There was a little stir created in the 2017 edition when language was added to 250.64(B)(4) to make clear that it does not have to comply with 300.5.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Out of curiosity, since it isn't exactly specified in the book. How deep would the wire from ground rod "A" to "B" need to be per code? Would it need to be enclosed in conduit as well?
I usually just bury it a few inches, or take it back to the wall for the 6'+ to the second rod.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Deep enough that a garden spade won't sever it! (;

"Darned clay soil! One! More! UH! There! THAT did it!"

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
250.64 covers this. There was a little stir created in the 2017 edition when language was added to 250.64(B)(4) to make clear that it does not have to comply with 300.5.

This originally appeared in the 2014 NEC as 250.64(B). The original code change proposal had it as a Note #6 to table 300.5 but the CMP moved in to 250.64 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.