No announcement yet.

Upgrading to 400 A Service

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Upgrading to 400 A Service

    My brother in law built a detached garage on his property that is going to eventually be a metal fab shop. He wants to have a 200 amp service to the building independent of the existing 200 amp service going to his house. We purchased a 400 amp meter socket that has a set of two service disconnects, intended to serve the two structures.

    The question I have is related to grounding and bonding. We drove a 5/8" x 8' rod at the new building. Should this be bonded to the ground rods currently serving the house? If all ground rods are bonded, where should the neutral/ground bond be handled?

    I understand that if we were running a circuit off the main panel to the detached building, that we would not bond the neutral/ground buses on the subpanel, because that bond is already handled at the main service panel. Does that logic apply to the scenario I described above, where we effectively have two separate service entrances off of the upgraded meter socket?

    Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question...

    I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
    This site is designed for:
    • Contractors
    • Electricians
    • Engineers
    • Inspectors
    • Instructors
    • Other electrically related individuals

    * This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
    If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.eminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the button at the bottom left corner of the post.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky