detail G

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
I have a set of drawings for a new building. It shows to install a ground ring at service. Is the ground RING only required to be 20'long and its considered a ground ring? The definition kinda throws me off with encircling the building or structure

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
No other details at all?

I’ve had some specify this, and then show a detail of a triad grounding electrode setup with irreversible connections enclosed in hand hole boxes; whereas you put three ground rods in a triangle pattern 6’ apart and cadweld the connections.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The ground ring is required to encircle the ENTIRE structure. Seems like a big waste of copper when you probably have a CEE already in the footing.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
The ground ring is required to encircle the ENTIRE structure. Seems like a big waste of copper when you probably have a CEE already in the footing.

NEC 250.52 4 says it must encircle the entire building but also says with at least 20' at 30'' deep of bare coppe but you are saying that it must encircle the entire building? I would also ground to building steel but the rebar sits on barrier or plastic and not indirect contact.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
NEC 250.52 4 says it must encircle the entire building but also says with at least 20' at 30'' deep of bare coppe but you are saying that it must encircle the entire building? I would also ground to building steel but the rebar sits on barrier or plastic and not indirect contact.

Yes it says it must encircle the entire building or structure. I would choose a different electrode.

250.52(A)(4) Ground Ring. A ground ring encircling the building or
structure
, in direct contact with the earth, consisting of at
least 6.0 m (20 ft) of bare copper conductor not smaller
than 2 AWG.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Yes it says it must encircle the entire building or structure. I would choose a different electrode.

I have 2 separate building BLDG 1 will have the main distribution and BLDG 2 will have feeder from building 1. Would I Have to install a second concrete encased electrode at second building if rebar was in direct contact earth? basically will i need to install a separate grounding electrode at second building?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I have 2 separate building BLDG 1 will have the main distribution and BLDG 2 will have feeder from building 1. Would I Have to install a second concrete encased electrode at second building if rebar was in direct contact earth? basically will i need to install a separate grounding electrode at second building?
Each building needs its own grounding electrode system. If you have rebar in the footing that qualifies as a concrete encased electrode then you need to use it as your grounding electrode.

Status
Not open for further replies.