Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best practices for building a grounding/bonding continuity testing kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best practices for building a grounding/bonding continuity testing kit?

As the first step in building a comprehensive AC safety inspection kit, I'm looking to build a long wind-up multimeter cable, that I can clamp onto the ground rod, EGC, IBT, or other appropriate location, and then measure the resistance from the ground slot on outlets, metal raceways, metal cases of equipment, etc.--instead of using a much heavier long extension cord.

I'm starting with:
    • Fluke 179 and it's standard cables
    • An extension cord reel that's way to big. Any suggestions for a specific type or brand?
    • 14 AWG stranded green wire (what gauge, number of strands, and insulation is best for this?)
    • Cal-Test right-angle soldered shrouded banana plug (is the screw-terminal model better for this use?)
    • TE (AMP) PIDG 14-16 AWG #8 ring terminal
    • TE PIDG Ring Tongue Terminal Size 8 16-14 AWG
    • Mueller Electric BU-25C Automotive Clip with BU-26 PVC insulator (rated for 75 amps)

What other things should I consider to provide this cable with the lowest-possible resistance? Would using any sort of conductive or anti-ox paste between the ring terminal and the BU-25C clip be worthwhile? What about the correct amount of torque for that screw?

Would there be any improve

Here's my kit's current state:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Ground Test Kit 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	2388968

Originally posted by PetesGuide View Post
    As the first step in building a comprehensive AC safety inspection kit, I'm looking to build a long wind-up multimeter cable, that I can clamp onto the ground rod, EGC, IBT, or other appropriate location, and then measure the resistance from the ground slot on outlets, metal raceways, metal cases of equipment, etc.--instead of using a much heavier long extension cord.
    Why???

I've seen something like that done for a basic test of pool bonding. Is this for a health or critical care setting? No? A simple plug-in receptacle tester should tell you whether the ground is functional, but beyond that it sounds like you have lots of time on your hands.

-Hal

Comment

Working...
    X