Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

250.52(B)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    250.52(B)

    If the aluminum cladding is covering the building sides, can we install an air terminal on above since we cannot bond aluminum?
    "Sleem"

    #2
    Originally posted by m sleem View Post
    If the aluminum cladding is covering the building sides, can we install an air terminal on above since we cannot bond aluminum?
    250.52(B) only refers to those things allowed or required to be used as a ground electrode. Aluminum siding is not one of the things that is mentioned as being a grounding electrode.

    Air terminals are part of lightning protection systems and are mostly covered in another NFPA standard and not the NEC.
    Bob

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by petersonra View Post
      250.52(B) only refers to those things allowed or required to be used as a ground electrode. Aluminum siding is not one of the things that is mentioned as being a grounding electrode.

      Air terminals are part of lightning protection systems and are mostly covered in another NFPA standard and not the NEC.
      In 250.64(A), the aluminum conductors are allowed as along as it's not subject to be corroded.
      "Sleem"

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by petersonra View Post
        250.52(B) only refers to those things allowed or required to be used as a ground electrode. Aluminum siding is not one of the things that is mentioned as being a grounding electrode.

        Air terminals are part of lightning protection systems and are mostly covered in another NFPA standard and not the NEC.
        Also, if i cannot depend on using it as electrode system, but still i have to bond it to electrode systems, am i right?
        "Sleem"

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by m sleem View Post
          In 250.64(A), the aluminum conductors are allowed as along as it's not subject to be corroded.
          Originally posted by m sleem View Post
          Also, if i cannot depend on using it as electrode system, but still i have to bond it to electrode systems, am i right?
          I dont really understand the question. Again as Bob said, aluminum siding is not an electrode, nor required to be bonded.

          I dont know what lighting protection standards say, if anything, about aluminum siding.
          Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

          "You can't generalize"

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by electrofelon View Post



            I dont really understand the question. Again as Bob said, aluminum siding is not an electrode, nor required to be bonded.

            I dont know what lighting protection standards say, if anything, about aluminum siding.
            If it like that, how to protect the aluminium siding during lightning strikes, assuming it covers the whole building like this,
            "Sleem"

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by m sleem View Post

              If it like that, how to protect the aluminium siding during lightning strikes, assuming it covers the whole building like this,
              I am no lightning protection system expert, but here is more to lightning protection systems them just grounding things. Aren't all those panels bonded together and bolted into the building frame anyway? A big part of it is providing protection ABOVE the thing to be protected so hopefully lightning stikes that first - think of the shield wires on transmission lines.
              Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

              "You can't generalize"

              Comment

              Working...
              X