Grounding 480V Service Feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm installing a new 480V service to a building. At the new service entrance disconnect, the neutral and ground are bonded and then connected to the ground rod. Downstream of the service disconnect there is a 480-208/120 transformer which feeds a lighting panel. At the transformer the ground and neutral are bonded per code. All of these things I am good with. Here is my concern, all the electrical equipment is bonded together with an equipment grounding conductor. So I am concerned with creating a circulating current loop for a fault since the ground and neutral are bonded together in two different positions, and all equipment is connected via the ecg. So am I okay per code with current installation or do something different? I think I am okay, but just want to be sure. Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Everything you've described is fine, we've been doing that way for decades without any issues. I wouldn't worry about circulating fault currents. Someone will elaborate on why they're not an issue.

So I am concerned with creating a circulating current loop for a fault since the ground and neutral are bonded together in two different positions,

Except.... they're not. You have a new and different neutral at the secondary of the stepdown transformer. It might be more clear if you draw up the transformers and connections, then see where the current can go.

Status
Not open for further replies.