Plate electrode

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
The electrical inspector hit us on not having a concrete encased electrode. I told him we didn't hAve the permits abd the foundation guy was in ahurry to our.now inspector wants plate. I have never used the plate electrode. Are the hard to install? And where are they usually installed closest to service disconnect?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They're not hard to install if the digging is easy. :)

You'll need to go down slightly over 30". Take a look at 250.52(A)(7) for the specifications for the plate. You'll also need to supplement that with another electrode unless it's proven to be 25Ω or less. {250.53(A)(2)}

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Why does he want a plate? (Wouldn't a couple of rods do the job?)

I didnt ask. He went straight to the plate. I guess its better than him saying i needed to install a ground ring around building. its a new building and the foundation guys wanted to get that done asap. If the requirement is to bond the building steel but the building steel is layed on plastic barrier and doesnt qualify what does it matter anyway? Why couldnt I have just buried a 1/2'' 20' rebar with copper stinger encased in concrete and be done if the idea is to have a concrete encased electrode. I guess i dont get the whole concrete encased electrode being critical for new foundations if a simple plate or ground rod will do the same.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I guess i dont get the whole concrete encased electrode being critical for new foundations if a simple plate or ground rod will do the same.

Are you saying that the installed building footing is not in direct contact with the earth? If so then it does not qualify as an electrode so you are not required to use a CEE. Using any of the other electrodes (like ground rods) would be code complaint, if the CEE does not qualify then you are not compeled to use only a plate electrode as an alternative.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The electrical inspector hit us on not having a concrete encased electrode. I told him we didn't hAve the permits abd the foundation guy was in ahurry to our.now inspector wants plate. I have never used the plate electrode. Are the hard to install? And where are they usually installed closest to service disconnect?

The inspector does not get to choose what GE you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.