Bussed CT MBJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
The POCO is requiring we install a MBJ to bussed CT enclosure before the service. I dont see a location I can install the lug for MBJ to buss or the can. So I am asking if anyone has ever installed one and any suggestions on where to install. The CT box we purchaseddoesnt have any lugs in the area and I am not sure if i can drill into CT box to install a lug(s)

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
For modifying the bus, ask the manufacturer. Maybe also ask the manufacturer why they didn't include a way to bond the can to the grounded conductor bus. Maybe there's a kit you're missing.

On the larger question, I've never had to deal with something like this, but it strikes me as wrong if they're calling it an MBJ. An MBJ goes at the service disconnecting means, no where else. A CT can doesn't sound like the service disconnect location. If this is ahead of the service disconnecting means then perhaps it's just a bonding jumper to the enclosure. One option might be to bring a bonding jumper from a point ahead or behind of the CT enclosure where you do have a grounded conductor lug or can install one. In that case you don't have to modify any of the current carrying busses.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
For modifying the bus, ask the manufacturer. Maybe also ask the manufacturer why they didn't include a way to bond the can to the grounded conductor bus. Maybe there's a kit you're missing.

On the larger question, I've never had to deal with something like this, but it strikes me as wrong if they're calling it an MBJ. An MBJ goes at the service disconnecting means, no where else. A CT can doesn't sound like the service disconnect location. If this is ahead of the service disconnecting means then perhaps it's just a bonding jumper to the enclosure. One option might be to bring a bonding jumper from a point ahead or behind of the CT enclosure where you do have a grounded conductor lug or can install one. In that case you don't have to modify any of the current carrying busses.

You probably wont believe me but the POCO engineer actually sent me a picture with the bondng jumper tied to the bussed CT. I would share but i can never get the pics to download

Status
Not open for further replies.