How to Properly Ground a Hot Tub (NOT!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Was asked to remove the 50a GFCI panel that used to feed a (now-long-gone) hot tub. Opened it up and found the unique grounding method of using part of a neutral bar out of a GE panel (the disco is Square D HO) to tie the grounding conductors together.

Hot to Ground a Hot Tub.jpg

The green wire is stripped and under the sheet-metal self-tapper behind the black wire....

kwired

Electron manager
And sold 'em at fine Big Box Home Improvement Centers. Like Home Cheapo and Blow's......
Can't tell if that is sarcasm or not, they do have them around here.

I somewhat don't have a problem with the GE bar used in your image, if it also has a jumper to the enclosure.

I use Square D bars in other enclosures all the time, but usually will bolt to the enclosure.

480sparky

Can't tell if that is sarcasm or not, they do have them around here.

I somewhat don't have a problem with the GE bar used in your image, if it also has a jumper to the enclosure.

I use Square D bars in other enclosures all the time, but usually will bolt to the enclosure.

The problem is the bar is PART of a GE neutral bar. What is missing is the bar itself the conductor press against. Towards that end, small conductors (like the 10s in the image) aren't held down solidly. The solid 10 from the NM cable was loose.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The problem is the bar is PART of a GE neutral bar. What is missing is the bar itself the conductor press against. Towards that end, small conductors (like the 10s in the image) aren't held down solidly. The solid 10 from the NM cable was loose.

I thought that bar that goes through the bottom was just for mounting the bar to the enclosure.

kwired

Electron manager
That is a problem.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician

should be a strip of similar colored metal iirc....so i guess one could site a listing violation, well one good violation deserves another then :p>

k1IbjQ8.jpg

The Gbar (@ the left) is held in by two 1/4-20's w/locks/flats/stop nuts.

The bigger wire is a 4/0 feeder, there is a lug kit (unseen) terminating it to the Gbar, a piece of #4 cu is the only ECG running into the panel .

~RJ~

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.