Lightning hitting a flag pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tciceri97

Hello, there is a local car dealership that continues to have problems with lightning striking their flag pole the metal pole is about 100’ tall and is within 10-15’ from their main building. The pole is grounded and there is no wires going inside anywhere around it. I’m thinking it is just the voltage leaking off the pole and hitting the rebar in the foundation and going through the entire system. They keep losing phones, computers, and other electronics. Is there any surefire solution?

I was thinking due to its close proximity that the only thing we can do is put surge protection everywhere, or run the correct wire and put in isolated ground receptacles in places with important equipment, but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

kwired

Electron manager
Hello, there is a local car dealership that continues to have problems with lightning striking their flag pole the metal pole is about 100’ tall and is within 10-15’ from their main building. The pole is grounded and there is no wires going inside anywhere around it. I’m thinking it is just the voltage leaking off the pole and hitting the rebar in the foundation and going through the entire system. They keep losing phones, computers, and other electronics. Is there any surefire solution?

I was thinking due to its close proximity that the only thing we can do is put surge protection everywhere, or run the correct wire and put in isolated ground receptacles in places with important equipment, but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Close proximity to the building - I think you are on right track that it is leaking off and into the rebar in the foundation or something similar.

You probably are in need of even more electrode surface in some way and maybe even bonding the building electrode(s) to the flagpole electrode(s) so there is no (less during a lighning strike) potential between them.

Moving flagpole further from building is possibly another option. Is it really 100 feet tall or does it just seem like it is. 50 foot flagpole is pretty tall for a flag pole but I think that size is somewhat common.

Status
Not open for further replies.