GEC in paralleled service raceways

Status
Not open for further replies.

rojay

Is it a violation of 310.10 (H)(3) to pull a GEC through only one service raceway where parallel conductors have been used and 2 service raceways have been installed?

I know the general rule of 310.10 doesn’t apply to grounding conductors, but what about the requirement of having the same number of conductors in a raceway?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe the op wants to pull the grounding electrode conductor thru one service raceway when there are actually 2 service raceways.

I don't think that is an issue at all.

rojay

Not my install- merely an observer?
This is a back to back 400 amp residential service where someone decided to use a meter pedestal with service disconnect- so the GEC needs to terminate there.

Technically, since the disco is outside we are talking about two 2” feeders that have been cored through the foundation wall to separate 200 amp panels. The actual grounding electrode is a Ufer ground on the inside of the foundation wall.

My guess is someone thought about the grounding after the fact and didn’t want to core another hole to run directly from the ufer to the service equipment

rlundsrud

I'm surprised they cored through instead of just going over the concrete foundation. I can't think of any time I've ever seen anyone core a residential concrete foundation/basement wall. Mostly because of concerns for water penetration into the basement.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Since it is not a circuit conductor you might be able to persuade the inspector that it does not break the parallelism of the two sets.
But you might not. Worst case run two identical full size GECs

Status
Not open for further replies.