Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Equipment grounding conductors turning black

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Equipment grounding conductors turning black

    This is a new house.Service panel is fed from a meter bank with 4 conductors.
    Panel is grounded to a CEE. Neutral and bonds are separated in panel.
    All circuits are 2 wire southwire NM.
    Water is all plastic, even from the street.
    Had panel cover off today and noticed the grounding conductors are turning black. What could cause this?

    #2
    Originally posted by kec View Post
    This is a new house.Service panel is fed from a meter bank with 4 conductors.
    Panel is grounded to a CEE. Neutral and bonds are separated in panel.
    All circuits are 2 wire southwire NM.
    Water is all plastic, even from the street.
    Had panel cover off today and noticed the grounding conductors are turning black. What could cause this?
    Black or do you have somewhat poor lighting and it is simply darker colored? When copper oxidizes it turns greenish color.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

    Comment


      #3
      I showed pictures of the same thing a month or so ago. The pics I showed were caused by the chinese sheetrock

      Look at this site for help

      https://www.cpsc.gov/safety-educatio...roblem-drywall





      Notice the black equipment grounding conductor


      Click image for larger version  Name:	receptacle_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.9 KB ID:	2533941
      They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
      She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
      I can't help it if I'm lucky

      Comment


        #4
        Here is the thread I started https://forums.mikeholt.com/forum/ac...out-this-panel


        Here is the panel mentioned in the thread

        Click image for larger version

Name:	enhance.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	2533944
        They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
        She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
        I can't help it if I'm lucky

        Comment


          #5

          Comment


            #6
            So I was at another job and noticed the same thing with bond wire. Must be something with the copper southwire is using. These jobs are only a few months ago.
            At first I thought it maybe from bonding of gas pipe that may not have a di- electric union.
            Thanks for the reply's

            Comment


              #7
              No, it's definitely something in the air that's doing that. It even looks like your crimp is discolored. Shouldn't be Chinese sheetrock now, but could be some other crap that that builder got cheap from God knows where. Indoor air tests are in order before the new home owner finds out about it and drags you all into court.

              -Hal

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by hbiss View Post
                No, it's definitely something in the air that's doing that. It even looks like your crimp is discolored. Shouldn't be Chinese sheetrock now, but could be some other crap that that builder got cheap from God knows where. Indoor air tests are in order before the new home owner finds out about it and drags you all into court.

                -Hal
                The chinese sheetrock caused the issue a long time ago.... New wiring may not have an issue but I would bet that is from the out gassing of the sheetrock.
                They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                I can't help it if I'm lucky

                Comment


                  #9
                  The house didn’t happen to have spray foam insulation did it?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Yes, the house with panel did and some spraying was done on the wiring at the box sill above the panel.
                    But the other job at a different location had only batt insulation.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Are you located in the south? I am guessing you don't believe this is from the sheetrock. I am almost willing to bet that it is...If it is happening in other homes then that is more proof.... It was a major issue years ago especially in the south
                      They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                      She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                      I can't help it if I'm lucky

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
                        Are you located in the south? I am guessing you don't believe this is from the sheetrock. I am almost willing to bet that it is...If it is happening in other homes then that is more proof.... It was a major issue years ago especially in the south
                        I am, and my gut is to agree with you.
                        My mind though is thinking “not again”...
                        right before the housing bubble bust of 08 we wanted building materials from anywhere as long as it was fast and cheap.
                        I thought that problem was fixed and couldn’t happen again.

                        in 2006 9000 tons of this stuff pulled into Wilmington. Several other ships offloaded this crap in Charleston.
                        you have neighbors in Holly Springs that had problems with it. Not sure of their outcome.

                        had a buddy of mine built a huge house there in HS, going to make a fortune. It wasn’t ready to sell until Christmas 2008.
                        He went under...

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
                          Are you located in the south? I am guessing you don't believe this is from the sheetrock. I am almost willing to bet that it is...If it is happening in other homes then that is more proof.... It was a major issue years ago especially in the south
                          No not located in the south. The state of Conn. I now feel if must be a reaction from the sheetrock. off gassing or something else.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            The Chinese have no boundaries when it comes to making anything they can sell out of anything they " think " is cheap and can be sold for a huge markup. They are the most grossly materialistic nation on the planet.
                            Max kaiser has a video of a machine they created that makes synthetic " rice." which was making people who ate it VERY SICK. It uses potato startch and a synthetic polymer to make something that appears like rice. There are simply no morals, standards or boundaries. They are possibly the single worst polluter of the oceans. Any quality in that manufacturing sector is very hard to come by.
                            There are very few exceptions.
                            Microwave Radiation Dangers should be openly discussed

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Sulfur in the air will blacken copper, and one way to get it is bad sewer vents.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X