Objectionable Current

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkles97

After a few searches on objectionable current between a meter socket and the first disconnecting means, I am finding myself misunderstanding something.
From what I have seen, our neutral lug is bonded to our meter enclosure which is tied to our GEC and EGC (rigid conduit) and our service panel has our neutral and EGC bonded together via MBJ. To my understanding, this would cause objectionable current. My question is: Why are we grounding our neutral in both the meter enclosure as well as the service panel opposed to only one over the other? I may be missing something big here, and would be very grateful for some clarification.

State: Washington

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
You are on to something that every electrician that cares enough about their job comes up against. Good on you.

You have it right, electrically the meter enclosure and service disconnect are the same and there is "objectionable current" on the metal parts. The rub is as far as the NEC is concerned there is nothing before the service disconnect, the meter, meter enclosure, all of it isn't there. It's weird, but it is what it is.

sparkles97

Appreciate the replies. It has been bugging me as the NEC seems vague on this. My next question would be: Do we bond our neutral and ground at a CT can where we have >400 amp services if the can is before the meter? Or is this something we would refer to our utility or AHJ for?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Appreciate the replies. It has been bugging me as the NEC seems vague on this. My next question would be: Do we bond our neutral and ground at a CT can where we have >400 amp services if the can is before the meter? Or is this something we would refer to our utility or AHJ for?
Before the service disconnect there is no neutral and ground there is only the utility ungrounded conductors and the grounded conductor.

You are not likely to get clear direction from your ahj or the POCO unless someone at on of those places is above average. You'll get a mishmash of answers.

If you want to understand this you need to start thinking in terms of earth, grounded conductor, and equipment grounding conductor.

sparkles97

Before the service disconnect there is no neutral and ground there is only the utility ungrounded conductors and the grounded conductor.

You are not likely to get clear direction from your ahj or the POCO unless someone at on of those places is above average. You'll get a mishmash of answers.

If you want to understand this you need to start thinking in terms of earth, grounded conductor, and equipment grounding conductor.

In my case, single phase 240v/120v transformer on the pole feeding the service, my grounded conductor would be considered a neutral right? I found what I was looking for in 230.82. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.