Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Condulet bonding

Good day ladies and gents.

I have ave a metal condulet between two pvc conduits. There are not any splices in the condulet. Does the condulet need to be bonded?

I was was thinking since there are no splices that the condulet need not to be bonded. I cannot find code to back me up. The raceway system contains a 120v branch circuit.

Not compliant. This same issue arises when metallic connectors are used with non metallic sealtite to PVC enclosures.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Texie.

Can you supply code reference? I don’t have code handy but I do know that all metal parts of an electrical system that is likely to become energized must be bonded. The question is would a condulet that does not contain splices be considered “ likely to become energized”.

I agree that that it would be a safer install and I don’t know why they would not use pvc bodies but they didn’t. I am just trying to find a code reference that would keep a contractor from having to redo about a weeks worth of work.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	likely to become energized.png Views:	0 Size:	129.5 KB ID:	2536286

https://books.google.com/books/about...d=83v7hptwljkC

https://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/Ab...anual_2015.pdf

250.86 Other Conductor Enclosures and Raceways. Except as permitted by 250.112(I), metal enclosures and raceways for other than service conductors shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor.

Exception No. 1: Metal enclosures and raceways for conductors added to existing installations of open wire, knob-and-tube wiring, and nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall not be required to be connected to the equipment grounding conductor where these enclosures or wiring methods comply with (1) through (4) as follows:
        (1) Do not provide an equipment ground
        (2) Are in runs of less than 7.5 m (25 ft)
        (3) Are free from probable contact with ground, grounded metal, metal lath, or other conductive material
        (4) Are guarded against contact by persons

Exception No. 2: Short sections of metal enclosures or raceways used to provide support or protection of cable assemblies from physical damage shall not be required to be connected to the equipment grounding conductor.

Exception No. 3: Metal components shall not be required to be connected to the equipment grounding conductor or supply-side bonding jumper where either of the following conditions exist:

(1) The metal components are installed in a run of nonmetallic raceway(s) and isolated from possible contact by a minimum cover of 450 mm (18 in.) to any part of the metal components.

(2) The metal components are part of an installation of nonmetallic raceway(s) and are isolated from possible contact to any part of the metal components by being encased in not less than 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete
        Last edited by Devin Hanes; 09-25-19, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Can you bond it with the cover screws? Tap a 10-32 hole in it? Or do you have to redo the raceway?

Comment

Thanks for the reply and references Devin.

Comment

I'm not a great code guy, but I remember reading (years ago) about running a bond wire external to the raceway to bond a piece of equipment. Can this be done?

Comment

How many cu inches are in the body? Enough to splice/tap the bonding conductor then hit a ground screw?

Comment

Devin gave you the code reference and it doesn't need to be "likely to become energized" to be required to be bonded. Just pull an extra bonding conductor in and terminate it at the conduit body.
                  Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                    Can you bond it with the cover screws? Tap a 10-32 hole in it? Or do you have to redo the raceway?
                    Can't use the cover screw, 250.148.
                    If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

Thanks for all the reply guys.

Would drilling and tapping for a bonding screw go against the UL listing?

Comment

How hard would it be to remove the conductors to the metallic condulet and replace it with a PVC condulet?

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by jcole View Post
                          Thanks for all the reply guys.

Would drilling and tapping for a bonding screw go against the UL listing?
                          IMO no. You're permitted to use the metallic conduit body with PVC and it's required to be bonded. Not many more options than the one you proposed.
                          Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Working...
                          X