250.24(A)(2) Additional grounding for outdoor transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beav16

To meet the requirements of 250.24(A)(2), can the additional grounding connection be made at the service disconnect? I am updating my service from 200A to 400A, and the new meter enclosure is attached to the exterior of my house and will contain two 200 amp disconnects within the meter enclosure. Meter is fed from a pad mounted transformer in my neighbors yard. It appears the existing meter grounding conductor is connected to a ground rod, and the existing service disconnect (panel inside my house) is connected to a ground rod system. In the new setup my service disconnect will be within the meter enclosure which I plan to run a #6 grounding electrode conductor to a pair of existing ground rods to meet normal grounding of service based on 250.50. Based on 250.24(A)(2) I need an additional grounding connection to another grounding electrode. Can I install another #6 from my service disconnect (meter enclosure) to an additional ground rod to meet the requirements? I don't want to mess with installing a ground rod at the existing transformer location.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.eminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.