Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insulation type for typical grounding conductors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isaiah View Post

I should clarify: The insulated #4/0 is not really intended to be an electrode, i.e. Ground Ring in the truest sense per 250.52(A)(4).Its really a very large, intricate bonding jumper used to connect grounding electrodes such as ground rods etc installed plant wide. Its also buried only 18" instead of 30". The 'taps' from the #4/0, are #2/0 and #2 insulated. I was simply inquiring as to what was the typical insulation type, such as XHHW-2, THHN/THWN etc, utilized for these conductors.
    I do however agree, the system would be more effective overall if the conductors were bare instead of insulated - but that is not what the client wants.
    Thanks for the clarification, since the conductor can be bare and is not required to be insulated I would use whatever insulation type is cheapest. If this conductor qualifies as a GEC it is not required to be buried 18" deep that would be a design issue.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post

Thanks for the clarification, since the conductor can be bare and is not required to be insulated I would use whatever insulation type is cheapest. If this conductor qualifies as a GEC it is not required to be buried 18" deep that would be a design issue.
      Yes, exactly my thoughts, why use XHHW-2 for this application?

Comment

Yes, exactly my thoughts, why use XHHW-2 for this application?
        Depending on where you are getting the direction to use XHHW-2, it may be to reduce unintentional contact with earth to reduce circulating currents or some other perceived reason. XHHW-2 is pretty tough / robust and maybe they want it to resist penetration from backfill or other debris.
        Ron

Comment

Originally posted by ron View Post

Depending on where you are getting the direction to use XHHW-2, it may be to reduce unintentional contact with earth to reduce circulating currents or some other perceived reason. XHHW-2 is pretty tough / robust and maybe they want it to resist penetration from backfill or other debris.
          This is coming from one of the Client standard details, I believe your last statement "XHHW-2 is pretty tough / robust and maybe they want it to resist penetration from backfill or other debris" is the most probable reasoning.

Comment

This is coming from one of the Client standard details, I believe your last statement "XHHW-2 is pretty tough / robust and maybe they want it to resist penetration from backfill or other debris" is the most probable reasoning.
            I have yet to see plastic insulation that is tougher than the copper conductor it is insulating.
            Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Comment

Working...
            X