Grounding in 2 places?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grounding in 2 places?

I have a condo building I'm working on with 16 tenants. The meter/disconnect pack is in a basement closet. The service is 800 amps. The electrode grounding conductor comes out of the disconnect and goes underground to who knows what or where - it looks to be sized appropriately and is copper. There is not a gec to cold water - I could not find it and it may be pvc. The building was built in 1984 and is in Atlanta, Ga
    The feeders to each unit are 1/0 SER aluminum. The panels are mlo and have the neutral bar and eq gr. bars separate. For some reason someone ran a #4 gec from the eq grounding bar to the cold water at the water heater, which is a few feet away.
    This is not the first time or building that I have seen this set-up. I removed the #4 going to the water heater and I'm wondering if I need to put it back. I usually work on sing family dwellings.
    I'm just hoping somebody could help me out here if they know a reason for this installation
    Thank you!

That # 4 is probably not doing much. IMO it won't hurt anything by leaving it.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Thanks but I already removed it. Unless anyone can think of why it should be there in the first place, I will leave it out

Comment

Sounds to me like that were bonding the metal water pipe system to the panel which won't do any harm.
        Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Land View Post
          I have a condo building I'm working on with 16 tenants. The meter/disconnect pack is in a basement closet. The service is 800 amps. The electrode grounding conductor comes out of the disconnect and goes underground to who knows what or where - it looks to be sized appropriately and is copper. There is not a gec to cold water - I could not find it and it may be pvc. The building was built in 1984 and is in Atlanta, Ga
          The feeders to each unit are 1/0 SER aluminum. The panels are mlo and have the neutral bar and eq gr. bars separate. For some reason someone ran a #4 gec from the eq grounding bar to the cold water at the water heater, which is a few feet away.
          This is not the first time or building that I have seen this set-up. I removed the #4 going to the water heater and I'm wondering if I need to put it back. I usually work on sing family dwellings.
          I'm just hoping somebody could help me out here if they know a reason for this installation
          Thank you!
          See 250.104(A)(2). This often applies multi occupancies in one building.

Comment

Originally posted by texie View Post

See 250.104(A)(2). This often applies multi occupancies in one building.
            That would be my bet as well.

Roger

Comment

Working...
            X