redundant grounds in patient care facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecockrell

Found where conductors were run in PVC conduit underground to patient care areas. 517.13 A requires conductors to be installed in a conduit that is approved as a equipment grounding path as noted in 250.118. In leu of the fact that the clinic is open for business, would the idea of installing a #6 ground wire from the panel and tapping off of each of the conduits with a #10 wire and a pipe clamp be acceptable.
Thanks in advance for your answer.
Ed

jtester

In leu of the fact that the clinic is open for business, would the idea of installing a #6 ground wire from the panel and tapping off of each of the conduits with a #10 wire and a pipe clamp be acceptable.

I'm not sure that I understand your description, but it sounds like you do not comply with the requirement that conduit be a ground path. If this is true, the only one who's opinion really matters is the AHJ.

You might want to contact them.

Jim T

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The short answer is no. Installing a second "wire" conductor does not acheive the "raceway as an Equipment Grounding Conductor" requirement.

You may be able to pull a type HCFC cable through the PVC.

Roger

jtester

You may be able to pull a type HCFC cable through the PVC.

I used to specify hospital grade AC cable in a pvc sleeve in the slab, until an inspector pointed out that the conduit is a wet location. The cable that I was specifying was not listed for use in a wet location.

Is HCFC listed for use in a wet location?

Jim T

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Jim, I agree.

It looks like the OP will need to find a different route for new conduit in order to be code compliant.

Roger

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
jtester said:
Is HCFC listed for use in a wet location?

I think the answer is no. AFC's HCF-90 uses THHN conductors and they only list it at 90deg.C (dry)

Others may have THHN/THWN conductors. Not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.