Bare EGC in underground raceways

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

Is it permissible to use a bare "grounding" conductor in an underground or underslab raceway?

Does the less restrictive rule of allowing an EGC to be bare apply, or does the more restrictive rule requiring "W" rated conductors apply?

I know GEC's area often installed bare outdoors in direct contact with earth, so I'm thinking bare is allowed in a raceway. I just wasn't sure.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
peter d said:
Is it permissible to use a bare "grounding" conductor in an underground or underslab raceway?

Does the less restrictive rule of allowing an EGC to be bare apply, or does the more restrictive rule requiring "W" rated conductors apply?

I know GEC's area often installed bare outdoors in direct contact with earth, so I'm thinking bare is allowed in a raceway. I just wasn't sure.
If the EGC is solid it cannot be pulled in a raceway if it is larger than #10.
Edited to add--- article 310.3

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Dennis Alwon said:
If the EGC is solid it cannot be pulled in a raceway if it is larger than #10.
Of course, you mean may not. ;) I've seen it done.

However, now that I think about it, what about the solid #6 and #4 we often use for services GEC's? Are we not permitted to sleeve them? Hmm.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
LarryFine said:
Of course, you mean may not. ;) I've seen it done.

However, now that I think about it, what about the solid #6 and #4 we often use for services GEC's? Are we not permitted to sleeve them? Hmm.
Of course-- people do sleeve them. I think that's okay-- you are just protecting it. I believe the reason is because solid wire does not bend well around bends and will cause extra hardship with other conductors in the conduit.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
If a bare EGC is used in a raceway, in a ground fault, it will heat and can damage the other conductors. An insulated EGC gives some protection. I have noted that bare copper conductors are 7 strand, and insulated are finer strand.

Status
Not open for further replies.