article 250.30 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveng

i have and outdoor 125 amp panel being fed from a 480/240 xfmr inside adjacent bldg,the feeder conductors and neutral are #6 thhn, no equipment grounding conductor at panel,

should the neutral wire be bonded to the ground bus terminal?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
steveng said:
i have and outdoor 125 amp panel being fed from a 480/240 xfmr inside adjacent bldg,the feeder conductors and neutral are #6 thhn, no equipment grounding conductor at panel,

should the neutral wire be bonded to the ground bus terminal?
This can be a difficult question to answer because more info is needed. Are you saying the building is detached, a separate structure from where it is being fed??

steveng

Dennis Alwon said:
This can be a difficult question to answer because more info is needed. Are you saying the building is detached, a separate structure from where it is being fed??

the xfmr is located inside the bldg where the service is coming from, the panel is located outdoors near a pond supplying the service for the fountain pumps and lights...

bldg service which is 480/277 3 phase wye 4 wire.

the xfmr feeding the outdoor panel is a 15kva 480/240 single phase, the transformer is not grounded , there is no ground rod attached at xfmr...

the ungounded condutors supplying the panel are 2- #6 thhn
the grounded conductor is #6 thhn
no equipment ground conductor
voltage L1 to L2 238volts
load on panel L1 15a
L2 14a

there is a ground rod at panel with the equipment ground bar attached.

should the neutral and equipment bars be bonded with bar, wire, etc....?

is this a seperately derived system? according to art 250.30?

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Yes this is a separately derived system, a system bonding jumper is required at the transformer or first disconnecting means

Depending on where the SBJ is, determines if a green and white wire is run from trans. to panel, or if a white wire with an imaginary green stripe is run.
Think about the purpose of the white wire and green wire.
if the SBJis installed at the panel, we are returning fault current and unbalance current to the transformer windings on one wire-white with imaginary green stripe
If the SBJ is installed at the transformer, fault current and unbalanced current stay separate until they reach the transformer.

This question gets a bit muddy as we want to apply the rules in 230.23 for separate buildings. I have not thought of this application before and I hope some others will assist me if my explanation is wrong,

RUWired

tom baker said:
Yes this is a separately derived system, a system bonding jumper is required at the transformer or first disconnecting means

This is a single phase 3-wire secondary xfrmx and would need ocpd with in the first 10'. The sbj would be made like you said. If there isn't any metallic systems between the building and outdoor panel,a 3-wire feed could be run and a new gec would be established there..
Rick

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Rich Elec. said:
A new gec would be established and it would be bonded at the new panel, correct?
Yes--

should the neutral and equipment bars be bonded with bar, wire, etc....?

you would bond the neutral and ground bar as you would a new service and drive a ground rod. A main disco is also required which could be part of the outdoor panel, i.e. main breaker weatherproof panel. No grounding conductor is necessary

steveng

RUWired said:
This is a single phase 3-wire secondary xfrmx and would need ocpd with in the first 10'.

are you talking about the service disconnect to the xfmr?

the service disconnect feeding the xfmr is fused at 30 amps. it is located next to the xfmr, there is no ocpd on the secondary side of the xfmr, just the load panel no main, 8 20 amps
single pole breakers, 2 two poles , not used

according to 250.30, you are not supposed to ground the neutral on seperately derived systems, am i reading something wrong?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
steveng said:
according to 250.30, you are not supposed to ground the neutral on seperately derived systems, am i reading something wrong?
Yes. What sentence brings you to that conclusion?

RUWired

steveng said:
RUWired said:
This is a single phase 3-wire secondary xfrmx and would need ocpd with in the first 10'.

are you talking about the service disconnect to the xfmr?

the service disconnect feeding the xfmr is fused at 30 amps. it is located next to the xfmr, there is no ocpd on the secondary side of the xfmr, just the load panel no main, 8 20 amps
single pole breakers, 2 two poles , not used

The service disconnect to the primary side of the xfrmr does not satisfy the requirements of 240.21(C).

Article 250.30 is saying that on separately derived systems that are grounded such as your xfrmr,the connection of the grounded conductor must be made either at the xfrmr or the first ocpd and where that connection is made the GEC must be brought to that point.It is also saying that no other grounding of the grounded conductor can be made on the load side of that connection,except incases of feeders to seperate buildings meeting the requirements of 250.32
Rick

steveng

thanks rick

thanks rick

RUWired said:
steveng said:
The service disconnect to the primary side of the xfrmr does not satisfy the requirements of 240.21(C).

Article 250.30 is saying that on separately derived systems that are grounded such as your xfrmr,the connection of the grounded conductor must be made either at the xfrmr or the first ocpd and where that connection is made the GEC must be brought to that point.It is also saying that no other grounding of the grounded conductor can be made on the load side of that connection,except incases of feeders to seperate buildings meeting the requirements of 250.32
Rick

i need to work under a master so i can make it to that level, the journeyman i learned under didnt know very much, but he sure made you think he knew everything. a regular bs artist:grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
steveng said:
i need to work under a master so i can make it to that level, the journeyman i learned under didnt know very much, but he sure made you think he knew everything. a regular bs artist:grin:
Not always right, but never in doubt. :roll:

This is an interesting installation, one I would not normally see, so I would not normally think about.

1. yes this is an SDS.
2. would you need to install a separate EGC? In my opinion, I think this is a good example of where using 250.32(B)(2) would be fine as the chances of having a metallic path between the two locations is remote...but...(see #4)
3. Some type of grounding electrode is required, either at the transformer or the panel located outside. (personally I like the termination at the transformer)
4. Most likely [more or less educated guessing based on the post(s)], you will need protection on the secondary side of the transformer within 10 or 20 feet, as per 240.21(C).

RUWired

Bea said:
Read 240.21.C(4) Outside secondary conductors

BEA. Unless this xfrmr is pad mounted and the conductors go directly undergound below concrete, there not considered outside conductors.The other problem with the OP is that he doesn't have a main in the panel if the conductors where considered outside.
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.