metal underground water pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgd

how far back in the code (what year) is metal underground water pipe allowed to be used as a grounding electrode? also how far back (what year) is metal underground water pipe required to be bonded?

mgd

perhaps a little more info to increase curiosity. so i'm down in the basement doing laundry in the apartment building i live in. i happen to glance over at the metal water pipe coming in from the street. where is the gec/bonding jumper? i'm wondering. thru further investigation (looking) i saw a ground clamp street side of the meter attached to the pipe, inside the 2x4 wall, obscured by the waferboard paneling. but to my amazement no wire attached. so i go outside the building to see if the meter base has a gec there. no conduit or wire run into the ground. apparently the service is not grounded (earthed). would you come to this conclusion as well?
oh, and about the building, it is an old brick factory building ( i dont know how old) converted into apartments. the service side of the foundation is below grade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.