Sealtight grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakey

On new A/C installs I will run a ground wire in the sealtight.
My question is I have an existing central A/C at 50 amp and the 1/2" sealtight is being used as the ground. It has all the proper metal connectors but is this existing situation code compliant? :-?

RUWIREDRITE

sealtight

sealtight

Is the run under 6 feet?, does the sealtight have a copper internal ground in it? It complies as long as either of the two above are present. IMO I would rather see a insulating grounding conductor in that raceway due to sealitght connector failure.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
rcarroll said:
Disregard my previous post. I didn't read far enough. If the sealtite is not more than 6' you're good to go.

I agree with your first answer not the second. 1/2" is only good up to 20 amps.

Oakey

It is less than 6ft, but it is a large central A/C condenser. Def over 20 amps most likely 40-50. I am doing a panel swap at the house where this situation is, if it is a violation is the E/C responsible for correcting it?

Bea

Oakey said:
It is less than 6ft, but it is a large central A/C condenser. Def over 20 amps most likely 40-50.

This would require an Equipment ground other than the sealtight

[QUTOE=Oakey]I am doing a panel swap at the house where this situation is, if it is a violation is the E/C responsible for correcting it?[/QUOTE]

Depends on your license if you are licensed to do the work then IMO if you are change out the unit it is you responancablity to make the installation to code.

bstoin

Oakey said:
It is less than 6ft, but it is a large central A/C condenser. Def over 20 amps most likely 40-50. I am doing a panel swap at the house where this situation is, if it is a violation is the E/C responsible for correcting it?
Yes, it is a violation. I would confirm what infinity stated (no more than 20 amps for 1/2").
As far as the EC being responsible, many inspectors have made me correct such violations stating that it must be "brought up to code."
It seems to me, fixing this would be a 10 minute job..why not make the correction?

Oakey

LOL ...you guys. Thanks for the clarification, I will fix it I just wanted to see how ppl felt about finding violations like that and what they would do. I know the H/O will not pay me for it but sleep is good. Seems I keep following the same A/C hack around my town.

LawnGuyLandSparky

Oakey said:

How is the panel swap related to the A/C compressor? Are E.C's liable for fixing existing vioations unrelated to the work they're contracted to do?

Oakey

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
How is the panel swap related to the A/C compressor? Are E.C's liable for fixing existing vioations unrelated to the work they're contracted to do?

That is one of my questions. I fixed this problem because it was easy to do, but if it wasn't...

jimioy

seal tight as equipment grounding conductor

seal tight as equipment grounding conductor

most seal tight fittings are listed as suitable for grounding purposes, you need to check them. The problem is none of the seal tight is rated as suitable for grounding purposes. You have to use an EGC in the seal tight if over a 6 foot run or if the run is under 6 feet, you can have the EGC on the outside or inside of the seal tight.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
jimioy said:
most seal tight fittings are listed as suitable for grounding purposes, you need to check them. The problem is none of the seal tight is rated as suitable for grounding purposes. You have to use an EGC in the seal tight if over a 6 foot run or if the run is under 6 feet, you can have the EGC on the outside or inside of the seal tight.

Where does it say that LFMC must be listed for grounding?

Status
Not open for further replies.