service ground wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdahoSparky

Recently, the city of Boise has started making us put the service ground wire in a plastic bushing, like an RC50, instead of using the 1/4" knockout supplied in most panels. Is this an actual code, or is the city inspectors making up their own version?? When I told the inspector that the knockout was meant for the ground wire, he told me it was not U.L. listed for that purpose and it was a weep hole.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
When I told the inspector that the knockout was meant for the ground wire, he told me it was not U.L. listed for that purpose and it was a weep hole.
The weep holes don't have a ko...they are open when you get the enclosure from the factory.
Don

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not only that, we've even had posted recently an instruction page for a panel that identifies these KO's for grounding conductors. Anyone know where it was?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
What brand of panels are you guys talking about?

I usually use Square D Homeline and there are no open holes. There are two knockouts that are symmetrically placed towards the back of the bottom of the panel. They basically straddle the center about 3 inches to either side.

I knock those out to allow any stray water to drain out. Then I use one of the regular 1/2" KO's with a connector for the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.