EGC for welder circuit in EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

gserve

Do I need a full size(#6) EGC for a welding outlet(50A 3-wire)installed in EMT or can I use #10AWG and go from ground screw on receptacle to box? or run #10 EGC from panel neutral bar directly to outlet ground screw? There is also some 20 A receptacle circuits in this EMT. If I use the #10 I was going to pigtail the #6 with #10 wire to outlets.I know I don't need to run EGC at all with EMT. But I would still have to go from box to outlets #12 to outlets and # 10 to welder outlet.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: EGC for welder circuit in EMT

EGC is based on size of OCPD. It does not have to be larger unless the grounded conductors are increased in size.
20 A rcpts may need a grounding pigtail depends how they are installed.
If you pull an EGC it has to be bonded to any box with a spice or device, there is a change on this in the 2002 NEC and you should look at it.

gserve

So if I don't run EGC I just need to run a jumper (#12) where the 20 A receptacles are and a # 10 jumper from box to surface mounted 3 prong 50A welding outlet?

iwire

Staff member

Yes, that is all you have to do, but to pull a #10 ground and jump off that at each box might be a better installation.

You should take a look at NEC 2002 article 630 Welders, for conductor and overcurrent sizing, it can be different than for other loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.