Grounding receptacles on two-wire systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnolan

I'm renovating an old building and discovered that the existing branch circuit wiring for the light fixtures and receptacles is two-wire (hot and neutral) BX or AC cable. The receptacles are 3-prong outlets. NEC 250-118 seems to allow AC cable as an equipment ground. Is this correct? Is a bonding jumper required between the outlet box and grounding screw on the receptacle? How about to the light fixtures?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Grounding receptacles on two-wire systems

Depends on the type of AC cable, is it per Article 320? An older cable may not have the internal bonding strip.
I suggest you use the GFCI provision in 406.3(D)

celtic

DELETED after reading Don's words of wisdom....thanks.

[ January 24, 2006, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: celtic ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Celtic,
The neon glow tester will glow without out a good EGC. You have to verifiy what is being used as the EGC. Just because you can light a neon tester or even a solenoid voltage tester does not mean that the grounding path is suitable for use as an EGC.
Don

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

How old is the wiring? BX or type AC cable started using the required bonding strip around 1959. The metallic armor may be an approved EGC. If so, this would allow you to use a self-grounding receptacle with the 2 wire cable or a bonding jumper between the device and the box.

RAM460

Similar question

Similar question

Lets take this one step farther. Old 2 wire RX (romex) obviously no grounds, can you install a supplemental ground wire from basement up to receptacle and box? What do they get terminated to in the basement? The closest water pipe? The Water service street side of the meter? Or does it have to run into the panel box attached to ground bar ?

pierre

I am not too sure how effective the ground fault path would be when using 250.130(C). I have never really liked that section.

I guess this is one of the times that one does not have to follow 300.3(B).

What do some of you think about it.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Pierre, my vote: it's better than nothin'. :)

Don said:
The neon glow tester will glow without out a good EGC.
We were working in an existing basement, and added a receptacle to a concrete wall. My coworker hammerdrilled two holes in the concrete, installed the plastic anchors, mounted the metallic box, and then tested from a hot conductor to the box. The tester glowed, with only the tiny connection where the screws damaged the anchors as they were installed.

That suprised the both of us. :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
George,
Back when I did do some residential service calls on knob and tube systems, I would use the neon tester to identify the hot...just hold one lead in your hand and touch the other lead to the conductor.
Don

jes25

This EGC permitted by 250-130. What type of conductor is this allowed to be? You cant run a GEC smaller than #6 unprotected, but what about an EGC?

RAM460

Lets hear how everyone is doing that.. Please Examples go along way...
Back 20 yrs ago when I was an apprentice, the guy I was working with said " You take all the new individual #12 ground wires, bring them to a central point, and mount a Ground Bar then take a #6 thhn copper wire and run to to the street side of the water service." He said that works and an inspector had never turned him down. Until now I have never needed to add ground wires.. I did mostly commercial / industrial wiring..

Any thoughts or better ideas would be helpful..
Thank You
Roger

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
jes25 said:
This EGC permitted by 250-130. What type of conductor is this allowed to be? You cant run a GEC smaller than #6 unprotected, but what about an EGC?
See 250.120(C). :)

RAM460 said:
Back 20 yrs ago when I was an apprentice, the guy I was working with said " You take all the new individual #12 ground wires, bring them to a central point, and mount a Ground Bar then take a #6 thhn copper wire and run to to the street side of the water service." He said that works and an inspector had never turned him down.
The only catch is verifying that the electrical service does have a GEC connected to the water service. That's something that isn't explicitly spelled out, and something that something that can get overlooked with "grounding" being what the installer is oriented toward, instead of "bonding".

The guy you were working with was better than the ones I was working with. We (wrongly) ran a 12 AWG conductor to the water pipe under the kitchen sink, or elsewhere convenient, and quit there. To use the water pipe electrode, you have to catch it within 5' of the building entrance (250.52(A)(1)). Coming to this forum straightened me out on that practice.

peter d

RAM460 said:
Back 20 yrs ago when I was an apprentice, the guy I was working with said " You take all the new individual #12 ground wires, bring them to a central point, and mount a Ground Bar then take a #6 thhn copper wire and run to to the street side of the water service." He said that works and an inspector had never turned him down.

Are these bonded to the service grounded conductor along the way?

RAM460

There is a new unbroken Ground wire from the Main electrical service to the street side of the water meter, then jumped back to the house side of the water meter. Well apparently it is ok. The inspector looked it all over said it looked good to him, better than what a lot of guys try. He passed it no problem. I don't know if working off the 1999 NEC makes a difference, thats all they have adopted here.

Thanks for all your input

Status
Not open for further replies.