bonding metal dwv pipework

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

It seems that technically metallic drain, waste and vent pipework should be bonded. If others agree that this is the case, is this actually happening in the field? I'll admit that I've never done it or been required to do so, but my local market is somewhat lax on the finer details.

charlie

Re: bonding metal dwv pipework

Take a look at 250.52(A)(7) then 250.104(B). In my opinion, if it doesn't meet the requirements of 250.52(A)(7) for a grounding electrode, then it is not required to be bonded any more than a gas piping system. :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I agree with Charlie it doesn't seem like this piping is likely to become energized.

mdshunk

I really had no intentions of ever using the sewer line as a grounding electrode, I was just wondering if it needed bonded. It does stand to reason that if it's not connected to any electrical aparatus, then it's not likely to be energized, and wouldn't need bonded. If it was likely to be energized, I really don't want anyone living in that house. :)

mdshunk

Originally posted by charlie:
Take a look at 250.52(A)(7), it may have to be used as a grounding electrode. :D
Now what have I started? :D

Well, it seems like I could use an old cast iron serwer line for a grounding electrode if I wated to, but I don't see this section saying that I must.

Status
Not open for further replies.