neutral conductor sizing for 3 phase panelboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

billete

Where can I find the neutral conductor sizing for a 3 phase panelboard 208/120? I would like to run 1 neutral for each 3, 120v. circuits. I would imagine it would only carry the imbalance of the 3 loads? I am looking in 250 of the NEC, but not finding anything. I must be way off base

[ February 03, 2004, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: billete ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: neutral conductor sizing for 3 phase panelboard

Roger

[ February 03, 2004, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: roger ]

ryan_618

See 250.24(B) as well.

Notice, however, that this section is limitted in its application to service equipment.

[ February 03, 2004, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

daveinca

This may not be in the Code, but my opinions. If you have anything in the way of harmonic-producing equipment on these circuits, computers, etc., I would oversize the neutral to handle possible triplen harmonics which could exceed the current in any one hot. You will find this in office cubicle wiring harnesses, usually 3-12 ga. hots with a 10 ga neutral. I prefer (data center) to run separate neutrals and grounds for every circuit, minimizes noise between those big computers!

ryan_618

Daveinca: I certainly don't disagree with your post, but I want to add that I find it very interesting that when talking about non-linear loads in an office environment, the flourescant lighting is seldom disussed. It is my understanding that these lights are just as big of a problem as computers for creating harmonics from their non-linear nature.

bennie

Esteemed Member

I have heard the gloom and doom about harmonic current for 50 years. I always understood the appearance of the (in phase neutral) current points out the need for using full size neutral conductors instead of reducing the size.

I never considered using a larger size neutral than the active line conductors.

Does anyone have the calculations for the highest possible current on a system with a high THD?

Ed MacLaren

AFC markets a line of "Super Neutral" cables, with both an oversized common neutral version, and one with a neutral for each phase.

AFC cables

Ed

SuperN.gif

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I have had students in my classes from a school district that have had neutrals burn up from harmonic currents.

ryan_618

One of the things that I find interesting on the plans that I review is that the EE will often spec a 200% nuetral on feeder circuits to panelboards, but not on the branch circuits that supply the non-linear loads. I wonder why that is?

iwire

Staff member

Ryan I have three replies for that.

1)Oversizeing the neutral would not do anything for a standard two wire circuit.

2)At least in the circuits I deal with that feed non-linear loads, the ciruit is very lightly loaded. 4 or 5 amps.

3)Take a multiwire branch circuit fed with 12/4 MC, each of the three legs even if loaded with 10 amps of non linear loads will not overload the 12 THHN neutral with a rating of 25 amps.

JMO, I would like to here Derecks take on this. :)

bennie

Esteemed Member

Would reducing the load on each branch circuit and feeder be a more positive method to reduce current?

dereckbc

Staff member

Bob, it is really a design issue and it starts at the entrance. From the MDP I divide the loads up in to either non-sensitive, sensitive, critical, lighting, or environmental loads, and then separate them via feeders to the respective sub-panels. Most everything I deal with is 480/277, but the same principle can be applied to 208/120.

Environmental loads are HVAC, UPS, and rectifiers. I use straight forward 480 3-phase distribution.

Lighting panels get a full size neutral on feeders, and individual neutrals on branch circuits.

Sensitive loads that are not on UPS I take to a K13 transformer and use 150% over-sized neutral on feeders, and use separate neutrals for all branch circuits.

Non sensitive loads which are GP outlets, office PC?s, frigs, microwave, etc I use a K4 transformer and full size neutral on feeders and multi-wire branch circuits. If I know there are going to be a lot of PC?s, printers, etc. I will use an individual neutral on branch circuits or a super-neutral multi-circuit cable. Really depends on budget.

Critical loads are either fed by UPS or DC battery plant. The UPS systems uses a custom PDU?s located close to where power is utilized with separate neutral an all branch circuits. Battery plant distribution is top secret.

I have taken a lot of readings over the years in data centers. I do find a few installations where the neutral current exceeds the phase conductor current. So I would sum it up this way. Always consider single-phase loads to be non-linear and at least use a full size neutral on feeders, at least a K 4 rated transformer to trap harmonics, and at least a full size neutral on multi-wire branch circuits. If you know it is going to be a heavy or all non-linear loads use K 13 transformers, 150% over-sized neutral on feeders, and separate neutrals on branch circuits. Last, get the grounding right or you will shoot yourself in the foot.

iwire

Staff member

Dereck thanks for the info, I have a question.

I thought I read that the harmonic currents could only add up to 1.73 of the phase current.

Is that a fact, or is there no limit to the amount of harmonic current.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.