Smallest EGC in Indoor Hot Tub Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnodad

I'm looking at installing a heater for a spa in a single family dwelling. The heater requires a 15 Amp GFCI protected circuit. No problem there. My question is whether or not I can use 14/2 Romex to install the circuit or if I have to bump to 12/2 to get a larger EGC.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The size of the EGC is determined on the basis of the circuit breaker's rating. 15 amp circuit = 14 awg (copper) EGC.

JohnJ0906

I'm looking at installing a heater for a spa in a single family dwelling. The heater requires a 15 Amp GFCI protected circuit. No problem there. My question is whether or not I can use 14/2 Romex to install the circuit or if I have to bump to 12/2 to get a larger EGC.

Is there something in the instructions that require a #12 minimum EGC?

cnodad

Is there something in the instructions that require a #12 minimum EGC?

Not in the instructions, no. I'm a rookie at pools and spas, so I'm still developing judgment there. I look around in 680 and I see "not smaller than 12 AWG" in a bunch of places, and I wonder if I'm missing something about indoor installations.

JohnJ0906

Not in the instructions, no. I'm a rookie at pools and spas, so I'm still developing judgment there. I look around in 680 and I see "not smaller than 12 AWG" in a bunch of places, and I wonder if I'm missing something about indoor installations.

Is this a hot tub/spa, or a hydromassage tub?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Art. 680.43 tells us to wire an indoor hot tub per Parts I and II.
If we go to part II art. 680.21 (A)(1) It tells us a minumum of #12 for the EGC to any pool associated motor. I realize this is not a pool but the hot tub section says to follow Part II-- IMO you need #12

JohnJ0906

If we go to part II art. 680.21 (A)(1) It tells us a minumum of #12 for the EGC to any pool associated motor. I realize this is not a pool but the hot tub section says to follow Part II-- IMO you need #12

I agree with Dennis, and want to add - insulated EGC.

If this is actually a hydromassage Tub, a #14 would be OK.
(I hear "hot tub" used as slang for what is actually a hydromassage tub around here, which is why I asked the OP)

cnodad

Is this a hot tub/spa, or a hydromassage tub?

I guess by 2008 definitions it would be either a "Self-Contained Spa or Hot Tub" or a "Self-Contained Therapeutic Tub or Hydrotherapeutic Tank"

It is a bathtub with a pump motor and a field installed heater.

cnodad

I saw 680.21, which would require a #12 for a 15 amp circuit, but this is for a heater, so doesn't apply? (I'm asking)

680.43 also says that you can use any wiring method covered by Chapter 3 (which would include Romex, right?)

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I agree with Dennis, and want to add - insulated EGC.

If this is actually a hydromassage Tub, a #14 would be OK.
(I hear "hot tub" used as slang for what is actually a hydromassage tub around here, which is why I asked the OP)

Good point- the op may actually have a hydromassage tub. I always pull a #12 anyway--- force of habit.

JohnJ0906

680.43 is for outdoor installations, if I'm not mistaken. And 680.42(C) is for interior wiring to outdoor installations.

So it doesn't really cover this situation... but it is because of sections like that that I'm asking.

What NEC are you using?

The '08 on my lap right now has 680.43 Indoor Installations

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
680.43 is for outdoor installations, if I'm not mistaken. And 680.42(C) is for interior wiring to outdoor installations.

So it doesn't really cover this situation... but it is because of sections like that that I'm asking.

Not in the 2008 or 2005 NEC 680. 43 is indoor. 680.42(C) is for interior wiring to an outdoor installation

rcarroll

I guess by 2008 definitions it would be either a "Self-Contained Spa or Hot Tub" or a "Self-Contained Therapeutic Tub or Hydrotherapeutic Tank"

I would consider this to be a hydromassage bathtub. See the definition in 680.2. So, 680.70 thru 680.74 would apply.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

You posted this at the same time I was posting-- I never saw it-- I agree this is a hydromassage tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.