250-148

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublecheck

When inspecting a fixtures wiring it is noted that there are three ground wires spliced together with a common wire nut. One of the wires is to the fixture. One goes back to the main panel. And the third goes to a down line fixture controlled by the same wall switch as the fixture being inspected. In this instance the two fixtures are both lights for a bathroom. Is this considered an arrangement of grounding connections where the disconnection or removal of the fixture will interfere with or interrupt the grounding continuity? Was this a violation of NEC 1999?

hurk27

Re: 250-148

Around here we are required to use a green wire nuts the ones that have a hole in the end of them when putting the egcs together you leave one wire long and it goes through the hole this tail is what hooks up to the fixture ground and this way you dont have to take apart the grounds when you remove the fixture.

doublecheck

HURK27 The type of nut you are referring to is also used here in Florida. I'm wondering though if this is required in this instance. The argument is that if you are disconnecting the light you are also disconnecting the Hot and Neutral wires when you disconnect the ground. Obviously you would need to reconnect them, or I suppose you could cap them, in any case if a qualified individual were to reconnect the hot and neutral supplies to the second light he would naturally connect the ground for that light to the source ground as well. This seems reasonable. However my question is does the 2002 NEC allow for that reasoning, and did the 1999 NEC, which was the adopted code in force for this house?s construction.

doublecheck

Stamcon So what your saying is that it would only apply if you were using the ground(s) for the fixture or the fixture itself as the path for the down line ground? I suppose the ground wire could be just cut to disconnect the fixture since the grounds in this case are bare uninsulated wire.

david

No, because there is no way to remove the fixture without also disconnecting the grounded and ungrounded conductors to the down stream fixture. In other words once the fixture is removed there would not be any energized equipment to protect.

Of course I am thinking more in line of lay in fixtures verses fixtures supplied mounted to a ceiling box.

[ March 02, 2003, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: david ]

michael nye

If you keep your power in the switchbox and only the switchleg in the light box you would not have to worry about it. Because there wouldnt be anything downstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.