Water filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

When putting in a service, care is generally taken to jump out the water meter.
Nowadays, people put in-line water filters after the meter. These filters are generally of the plastic type. Doesn't this sort of negate the point of jumping out the water meter?

This the type filter I am talking about:
04238440000-190.jpg

Kenmore Whole House Water Filter

If it doesn't negate jumping out the meter, what's the point in jumping out the meter?

charlie

Re: Water filters

The reason for jumping out the meter is so the water company personnel don't get hurt when replacing the meter. The reason for connecting within five feet of entrance to the building is because of plastic piping, filters, etc. that would disconnect the grounding electrode. If a filter is installed, you are required to bond the interior metal water piping system. In other words, either jumper the filter or run another bond to the interior water piping system. :D

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

250.53(D) ... (1) Continuity. Continuity of the grounding path or the bonding connection to interior piping shall not rely on water meters or filtering devicesand similar equipment. ...

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Celtic, I was young and foolish once, and purchased a filter like the one displayed above. I thought it stood a snowball's chance against my well water (which was hard as a brick and had more iron than a modern car). :)

If a filter were installed anywhere on the system, 250.104 would require a jumper to bond the suddenly disconnected portion of the metallic water pipe system. ;)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

This is interesting to me. I had a lot of trouble with rocks in my water. I replaced 3 or 4 flush valves on the toilet and had to have a plumber replace the insert on my tub valve twice (almost $100 a pop). The rocks also clogged up my solenoid valve on the washing machine.

I finally paid a plumber to come out and put in one of these filters in front of the water meter. I don't recall seeing a bond wire around it.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Do you have copper plumbing? :D

I think the one I purchased was a GE Smartwater, but as I recall neither the water nor I came away smarter from the experience. ;)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by georgestolz:
Do you have copper plumbing? :D

A piece of #6, two water bond clamps, and you're in business, Bob. Take you five minutes. ;)
I will have to take a look tonight. I never really looked that closely, but I think I would have noticed something that obvious if it was there.

I did notice this odd bond wire around the water meter though. It is no more than a #18. I have often wondered what its purpose is.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by georgestolz:
A piece of #6...
Shouldn't this depend on the service size, unless only a supplemental ground is dependent on this continuity?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Shouldn't this depend on the service size, unless only a supplemental ground is dependent on this continuity?
Larry, by 250.104(A)(1) you're right. The bonding jumper should be sized according to the service, which is silly. But hey, who are we to question? :)

By the way, I have a proposal to change this. :D
I was young and foolish once
Come on George, you really expect us to believe that :D

Status
Not open for further replies.