Pipe Clamp for Bonding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switcher

Hello all,
I encountered a old bank that has no grounding system. none other than a #2 cu being fed from the main water copper line. There is one main 400A 120/240v delta 3-phase MDP, 1- 200A 120/240v delta 3-phase sub panel, and 1- 100A 120/240v single phase subpanel. There are no bonding bushings installed, no main grounding electrode, building steel isnt bonded, cast iron waste pipes not bonded, no bond on natural gas lines, you get the picture.
I think this is a silly question. Can i install pipe clamps on the rigid and EMT conduits at each panel instead of bonding bushings so as to not be required to disturb operations or pay overtime?

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I would say that the only place bond bushings would be required in your situation would be fittings where the service entrance conductors pass through. Feeders and branch circuits that are on OCPD's wouldn't need bond bushings at your voltages. As far as using pipe clamps instead of bond bushings, I'd ask you AHJ for an opinion.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A few observations:
Bonding bushings, wedges or locknuts are only required on the metallic service raceways.
Water pipe and gas are likely not required to be bonded.
Copper water line is fine as the GES as long as it's supplemented by one other electrode. (Not sure how long that requirement has been in the code but the old bank probably pre-dates that requirement therefore a supplemental electrode may not be required due to grandfathering)
Building steel must be bonded if it meets the requirements of 250.52(A)(2).

Status
Not open for further replies.