jody lane

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe somebody can help me. i am wanting some info on a case were a lady died by touching a manhole. i want to say that her name is jody lane. what i am lookin for is the court case info because if i remember right i think somebody got sued over this deal.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Google is your friend -I typed in "Jody Lane electrocution" and got a plethora of information. Here is the what I got -> Click here.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You might search the main Mike Holt page. I believe that Mike was on the Jody Lane Foundiation Board at one time.

bob

I've had some experience in the construction of manholes. After reading the information posted by Rockyd, I am having a hard time understanding how the manhole cover is accidentally energized. Can anyone help me?

Ken9876

I belive it's just a matter of time before this same thing happens in my area. Not one street light, traffic signal or other manhole or JB cover is bonded

Ken9876

To make it much worse, many of the old installations the threads on the GRC were never protected so there is no effective ground fault current path anymore from metal poles. Which is why I belive when we have a short in the field wiring to these traffic signals there is so much burnt up equipment.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don
Utility companies do not use an EGC, they use the grounded conductor as the 'bond' to the metallic parts.
2-wire installations, they depend on the grounded conductor for fault current, just as we do on the line side of service disconnects. (such as bonding of meterpans to the grounded conductor)
In the cases of light poles and manhole covers, the utilities rarely bond them. The use of the grounded conductor for bonding is better than nothing, but it does place a voltage equal to the voltage drop on the utility primary and secondary grounded conductors on the bonded objects.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I have a friend whos business is finding "stray voltage" for utilizes. He wrote an article at my request, a study in New York shows one in every one out of every 3337 light poles are energized.

Heres a link to the article:
http://www.imsasafety.org/journal/so08/20.pdf

Heres one I did on Jodi Lane:
http://www.imsasafety.org/journal/so08/17.pdf

Utilities are very concerned about this issue. IMO they don't want to follow the NEC (and don't have to), so can omit the EGC, some do, some don't.

M

mayjong

one in every 337, not 3337... wow, that is a lot more than i thought even possible. you just assume these are safe...

M. D.

from time to time,.. especially in wet weather,. I tell my kids not to touch light poles and to avoid the sidewalk hand hole covers ,..when they ask why I explain it ,.. the two older ones get it ,..the six year old ,.. well,. she understands more and more about eveything every day ....

I will read the article thanks Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.