Above ground pool requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

New to pool installations just curious about a few items? Why a twist lock for the pump, i find most pump manufacturers provide a standard 5-15P the max only be 3' so that would mean you need a twist lock at the 5' or 6' permieter depending what code you are under, however cutting the cord would void the warranty? why not just a standard 5-20R? also whats up with the eq. bonding requirements it appears you need to create a grid under the pool extending horizontally beyond the pool and connected to the motor grounding lug, if the motor is double insulated than you connect it to the branch circuit equipment ground conductor, and you have to attach a ground from the grid to the vertical metal supports of the pool. wow I hope i understand this now.

M. D.

When I read 680.26 (b) (1) I see where it says a vinyl liner excludes it from being a conductive pool shell,..so neither (a) nor (b) apply. The perimeter surface would still require bonding to whatever else from the list you have to bond .

electricalperson

dont forget you still need to leave a bonding wire near the motor even if its double insulated. you also need to bond the water. not sure if they have anything on the market yet but if the latter is metal that can be the bonding means. i like to hit every single metal up right with a bonding lug.

Mike01

twist-lock?

twist-lock?

But why the twist-lock if the receptalce installed is a GFI / WP whats the difference? if I choose to plug in a "Boom-Box" in leau of the pump for the time I am in the pool, the receptacle is still GFI protected the same way the pump is GFI protected. now you just have to spend additional cost because the twist lock does not come in a GFCI configuration so you would either have to buy a GFCI circuit breaker or install in a two gang box the twist-lock powered from a GFI module. Just seems weird to me if the cirucit is GFCI protected does it matter what is plugged in? As far as the pumps the way i read it was if it is above ground you have to take a solid #8 from the a vertical support of the pool and connect it to the pump ground lug if the pump is a double insulated type you just route it to the j.box with the twist-lock and connect it to the equipment ground in the circuit. is the reason to only ground one support to the motor due to the fact the track is metal thus connecting all the vertical supports togerther in leau of providing a ground conductor to each.

Status
Not open for further replies.