Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Do you mean this?

buchanan.jpg

Howard Burger

Greenies OK for commercial work?

Greenies OK for commercial work?

The green wirenuts are fine when you have only one recep or switch to ground, but since we have to ground all switches, crimpies are the way to fly for multiple switches or recepts in a box. Question - does your AHJ allow greenies in commerical work? I've been told it's against code for commercial, but resi is OK. No company I've worked for (commercial) uses them. As to the tool, I use the Klein crimper tool - which is a 'listed' tool I guess (?).

masterinbama

The green wirenuts are fine when you have only one recep or switch to ground, but since we have to ground all switches, crimpies are the way to fly for multiple switches or recepts in a box. Question - does your AHJ allow greenies in commerical work? I've been told it's against code for commercial, but resi is OK. No company I've worked for (commercial) uses them. As to the tool, I use the Klein crimper tool - which is a 'listed' tool I guess (?).

Leave it long at loop from device to device.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Question - does your AHJ allow greenies in commerical work? I've been told it's against code for commercial, but resi is OK. No company I've worked for (commercial) uses them. As to the tool, I use the Klein crimper tool - which is a 'listed' tool I guess (?).

Why would a listed wire connector be OK for residential work but not commercial work?

MarkyMarkNC

We had a helper on a big commercial job one time that used greenies to twist together the hot wires on some 277V circuits.:mad:

Guess who found it before we did - the inspector.:mad::mad::mad:

I've never purchased Greenies since.

tkb

Do you mean this?

buchanan.jpg

I worked for a guy when I was an apprentice that had us use these with the plastic snap on caps for all splices except for fixture connections.

For the fixture connections we used a connector that was brass with a setscrew and had a screw on cap. I think they called them Marr connectors.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't use them, but I have re-used them when they were already there, and sqished them with my Kleins.

gndrod

crimp in commercial

crimp in commercial

Why would a listed wire connector be OK for residential work but not commercial work?

Crimp bonding is not common in most commercial unless there is NM in the system. Crimping 410's are plain difficult using a Buchanan on stranded wire in commercial that does not use a separate grounding conductor as found in Romex.

As far as using greenies in residential, making up the bonding jumpers takes more time to makeup EGC connections to terminals in multiple switch outlets where one crimp is quicker. I guess the question I ask...is why would anyone use greenies on a commercial job where the conduit is the basic EGC? rbj

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.