Splicing GEC (NEC 250.64(C)(1))

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarengr

Is there a limit to how many splices or taps can be made on one GEC?

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I design solar systems using micro-inverters (every solar panel has its own inverter). A big pain (and high cost) part of this is that each inverter needs to be grounded. This ground not only serves as an equipment ground (EGC) but also as a grounding electrode conductor (GEC) since one of the DC leads from the solar panel is bonded to the metal enclosure of the inverter. What I'd like to do is pre-install a bare copper #6 GEC to the microinverter so that when my subcontractors are on-site, all they need to do is use either a barrel-shaped splice or C-Tap with a compression tool (from Panduit, Thomas and Betts, or whoever) and splice the GEC from two adjacent micro-inverters.

There are 21-24 micro-inverters per circuit so there would be 21-24 splices/connectors per circuit.

Is this code-compliant? Does anyone see a problem with this?

From my understanding of 250.64(C)(1), this is acceptable as no limit is set.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The main GEC must be continuous but you can split off as often as you like with either a irreversible splice or split bolt without cutting it.

drive1968

By the way, which model of Enphase are you using where you are able to get that many microinverters on each circuit? The model I use only allows 13 per 15 amp circuit.

solarengr

The main GEC must be continuous but you can split off as often as you like with either a irreversible splice or split bolt without cutting it.

The NEC says (250.64(C)) "GEC's shall be installed in one continuous length without a splice or joint except as permitted in (1) and (2)
(1) Splicing shall be permitted only by irreversible compression-type connectors listed as grounding and bonding equipment or by the exothermic welding process.

The way I read that is that if you have two separate lengths of GEC copper wire, you can use an irreversible compression-type connector to splice the two and, per the section quoted above, this would still be considered one continuous length of GEC.

If someone thinks I am misinterpreting the code, please let me know.

raider1

Staff member
The NEC says (250.64(C)) "GEC's shall be installed in one continuous length without a splice or joint except as permitted in (1) and (2)
(1) Splicing shall be permitted only by irreversible compression-type connectors listed as grounding and bonding equipment or by the exothermic welding process.

The way I read that is that if you have two separate lengths of GEC copper wire, you can use an irreversible compression-type connector to splice the two and, per the section quoted above, this would still be considered one continuous length of GEC.

I would agree with your interpretation.:)

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I thought I said that in a convulted way. Irreversible crimps are allowed- I did say that, continuous length with split bolts off the continuous piece is alowed. This may help a bit

ry%3D400

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
(1) Splicing shall be permitted only by irreversible compression-type connectors listed as grounding and bonding equipment. . .
My experience has been with the Burndy HyPress and connectors, but the tool is, to me, very expensive, and really bulky, for the smaller GECs that are my common install.

I'm interested in knowing of lighter tools and connectors, in the #8 to #4 guage range, that meet the standard called for in 250.64(C). Any one got ideas?

eprice

I kinda think I disagree, though I'm still thinking out loud here. 250.64 (C) (1) allows splicing of the GEC, but it doesn't allow tapping. What you have described doing is not splicing. It is tapping. The only section within 250.64 that allows tapping is (D). That section doesn't really cover what you are doing, but I would be comfortable with allowing it as an alternate means. (D) requires that the taps be made in such a manner that the common GEC remains without splice or joint.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The GEC ends at the tap. The other conductors are bonding jumpers. Here's a graphic from the NECH, not sure if it complies with the OP:

250.66%20Taps.JPG

solarengr

I kinda think I disagree, though I'm still thinking out loud here. 250.64 (C) (1) allows splicing of the GEC, but it doesn't allow tapping. What you have described doing is not splicing. It is tapping. The only section within 250.64 that allows tapping is (D). That section doesn't really cover what you are doing, but I would be comfortable with allowing it as an alternate means. (D) requires that the taps be made in such a manner that the common GEC remains without splice or joint.

Here's how I define splicing and tapping:

Splicing is when you take two pieces of wire and join them into one (i.e. they both terminate in the connector). In the end, you have one ground path. I would consider this a series connection.

Tapping is when you have one conductor pass through a connector and another terminate in the connector and branch off in a different direction. In the end, you have 2 separate paths. I would consider this a parallel connection.

250.64(D) is there to make sure you size that tapped conductor correctly.

tommyrice

grounding micro-inverters

grounding micro-inverters

I think you could use split bolts because you are tapping off main GEC.My question would be what criteria would you use to size main GEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.