Aluminum Ground Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

haskindm

tinned copper isn't mentioned in the NEC, it's not looking like a viable option either. (ETL most likely won't let it slide)

Please look at Table 8 in Chapter 9. Tinned copper is the "coated copper" referred to in this table, so it is certainly mentioned in the NEC!

Bearcats

As a final note, I contacted the local code authority here and they confidently said no to bare aluminum conductor in outdoor conditions.
I am continuing my search for a #6 bare tinned copper conductor, it is proving elusive.

Thanks everyone!

pete m.

The NEC doesn't mention that tinned copper may be used as an equipment grounding conductor. Has anyone found otherwise? (section 250.118 NEC 2011)

Does tinning the copper make it any less of a copper conductor? Kind of like using PVC coated rigid conduit. Even after the rigid is PVC coated it is still rigid conduit.

Pete

kwired

Electron manager
As a final note, I contacted the local code authority here and they confidently said no to bare aluminum conductor in outdoor conditions.
I am continuing my search for a #6 bare tinned copper conductor, it is proving elusive.

Thanks everyone!

What about the bare aluminum grounded conductor used in service drops 99.99% of the time?

I can understand not using it near grade level but it is used for millions of distribution conductors all over the place with pretty good success rate.

gndrod

Anodized

Anodized

Is solid bare aluminum grounding wire hard to come by? I have called several (5) local electric supply distributors and none of them seem to stock any.

The reason I ask is because I have a solar application with an annodized aluminum structure, and aesthetics are a primary concern. A green insulated equipment grounding conductor would look terrible so I'm trying my best to avoid it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

An anodized aluminum is a non-conductive coating. An alodined aluminum surface is what is used in electronic rack and chassis equipment for conductive grounding. Using anodic coatings are used on automotive trim and components more commonly.

Most residential conductor EGC bonding is generally solid or stranded copper. In some cases, using bare aluminum for interior bonding, a stranded aluminum conductor can be used for pipe clamped GEC connections. Using a #6 or larger solid aluminum conductor would be rare. Drop service cable uses a steel core with stranded aluminum in most cases in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.