Aluminum Ground Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum Ground Wire

Is solid bare aluminum grounding wire hard to come by? I have called several (5) local electric supply distributors and none of them seem to stock any.

The reason I ask is because I have a solar application with an annodized aluminum structure, and aesthetics are a primary concern. A green insulated equipment grounding conductor would look terrible so I'm trying my best to avoid it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Never bought Al ground wire. Never asked for it. Don't know how common it is.

If you can't find any, tinned copper would give you that silvery sheen you seek.
    If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

I've installed this stuff. It's so purrrrddy....

Click image for larger version

Name:	141936.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	2367374

http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=439195&eventGroup=4&even tPage=1

Comment

Like the others mentioned, I'd use tinned copper too.

Comment

Googled - found Belden offers #8 sol aluminum.

I remember installing some back in the early 80's for 'grounding' roof top TV antennas.
          Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Comment

I wonder if you can paint the bare copper with a chrome paint?
            They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
            She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
            I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

I am not sure where you plan on running/terminating this but keep 250.64(A)&(B) in mind.

+ Another vote for tinned copper, for many reasons.

Comment

Run it in aluminum RMC is also a possibility.
                I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

The NEC doesn't mention that tinned copper may be used as an equipment grounding conductor. Has anyone found otherwise? (section 250.118 NEC 2011)

WIMaster- The section you mentioned would be in regard to a grounding electrode conductor. The application would be for an equipment grounding conductor (connecting all of the panels and metal framework together, and then bonding it to a GEC in the foundation, but I would specify that it had to be 18in from the concrete at the termination point).
                  Last edited by Bearcats; 01-19-12, 11:40 AM. Reason: Further Reading in the NEC

Comment

I use to see a lot of it durring the housing boom. It was used to bond to the water pipes.
                    Rick Napier
                    Inspector and Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcats View Post
                      The NEC doesn't mention that tinned copper may be used as an equipment grounding conductor. Has anyone found otherwise? (section 250.118 NEC 2011)
                      Isn't tinned copper really copper clad aluminum?
                      They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                      She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                      I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

No it is copper with a tin coating on it. Prevents oxidation or something. I have only used on cell phone sites.

I would be of the opinion that to the NEC it is just copper and doesn't need a special mention.
                        Last edited by ActionDave; 01-19-12, 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling
                        If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
                          Isn't tinned copper really copper clad aluminum?
                          Hi Dennis,

You are close if it were tinned copper clad aluminum.
                          rbj, Seattle...Safety is a Professional Courtesy.

Comment

Find a supplier that specializes in HV distribution equipment and supplies.
                            Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose. But still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by masterinbama View Post
                              Find a supplier that specializes in HV distribution equipment and supplies.
                              Good suggestion - I have seen reels of bare solid aluminum - on POCO service trucks.
                              I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X