Lightning protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched your webinar on the Grounding vs Bonding topic this morning and I was wondering about lightning protection. I know that the ground rod isn'y supposed to protect the fixture from damage from lightning, however, does it not protect the system upstream from the fixture from massive voltage spikes? Upon a lightning strike on a light pole for example, wouldn't the voltage dissipate into the ground without travelling down the line and back into the more susceptable electrical room?

I watched your webinar on the Grounding vs Bonding topic this morning and I was wondering about lightning protection. I know that the ground rod isn'y supposed to protect the fixture from damage from lightning, however, does it not protect the system upstream from the fixture from massive voltage spikes? Upon a lightning strike on a light pole for example, wouldn't the voltage dissipate into the ground without travelling down the line and back into the more susceptable electrical room?

Lightning will travel upon every accessible path made available to it. When the lightning strikes the pole ground rod or not it will travel through the available conductors back to the panel the conductors were derived from. The only aide in protecting equipment or wiring on the inside of the building is Surge suppressor devices installed in the circuit.

Here is a web page that might give you a bit more information.
http://www.mikeholt.com/technical.p...e=Ground Rod at Metal Poles a Waste? (8-5-2K)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.