rate work

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtite

does anyone know what the provalling wage rate is for an apprentice in nyc and Bronx, .Also if t onlyheirs only two guys on job does the apprentice get journeyman wages?I ask bc my paychecks dont seem to add up and my boss does our paychecks so its hard to see what you make,instead of putting down how much you make hourly of pw he puts down how many hours you would have if it was non rate.When I asked the bosses brother he said that the reason why my check might seem shy is bc he can deduct what it cost to inshure me on that job.It also seemed suspicious bc when I asked the boss what the rate was he said ill have too get back to you on that.I asked him again and he said lets just say its too much.Ive since left this company my boss owes me for one day rate were I can easily see how much it is when I get the check on fri,

growler

I asked him again and he said lets just say its too much.Ive since left this company my boss owes me for one day rate were I can easily see how much it is when I get the check on fri,

Call your labor board. this whole things smells fishy.

As far as the pay being to much the EC knows how much he will have to pay going into the job and everyone is supposed to pay the same. Check not only the hourly rate but the fringe that goes along with it.

Rewire

Your states dept of labor sets the PW for each county and you should be able to find them online. If you are not in a federally approved apprentice program you must be paid as a JW the benefit package must be paid also unless these are already provided for and if they are equal if not then the difference is on the check.

wolfman56

Before even bidding the job the EC must look up the rates for your state, county or city. For the exact rate of the region worked.
You can look this up yourself.

Start here: http://www.comptroller.nyc.gov/bureaus/bll/schedules.shtm

As far as the cost of insuring you, the cost of the workmen's comp (job related injury), insurance is an employer expense that is not considered when determining your rate of pay. They may have been talking about the cost of medical insurance that is usually part of a wage contract. The prevailing wage package includes the hourly wage plus the benefits such as medical insurance and employer contribution to a retirement fund. The wages and benefits combined equal the total amount required to pay the employee.

Your employer can deduct the qualifying benefits that he provides, from the quoted prevailing wage. If he does not provide some or all of the qualified benefits then he must increase your hourly wage to be equal to the prevailing wage rate.

How many hours worked is how many hours worked period. You do not make "adjustments" by changing that. If he is altering it from what hours you actually worked then he is probably showing less hours worked on the documents so that it appears he is paying you a higher amount per hour. Giving the appearance that he is following the rules. Just take whatever he paid you and divide that by the number of hours that he put down on your stub. That's how much he is supposed to be paying per hour. Multiply that amount by the hours you really worked and the difference will how much he screwed you out of.

Turn him in, he will be forced to pay up!

RW

P.S. I just looked this up, 98.13 per hour!

Electrician "A" (Regular Day)
Effective Period: 7/1/2013 - 5/13/2014
Wage Rate per Hour: $52.00
Supplemental Benefit Rate per Hour: $46.13

Last edited:

liquidtite

I worked on a prevailing wage job and worked 80 hrs for the two weeks. On my pay stub it says 160hrs at $14.00 an hour and & 11hrs overtime at $21.00. What exactly was my boss doing to alter my pay and hours like that? Why was there so many hours at the regular rate being that I was on a prevailing wage job?

liquidtite

Is this pay stub enough to prove that he wasn't paying me what was owed to me? I have more than ten pay stubs like this with even more hours on that same pay for prevailing wage jobs.

Rewire

File a complaint with the state labor board they will compel your employer to provide his certified payroll for the PW job and they will check it against your paystubs. They labor board will let you know what you need to provide then then they will get any monies owed you.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I worked on a prevailing wage job and worked 80 hrs for the two weeks. On my pay stub it says 160hrs at $14.00 an hour and & 11hrs overtime at $21.00. What exactly was my boss doing to alter my pay and hours like that? Why was there so many hours at the regular rate being that I was on a prevailing wage job?

i'm assuming you aren't working under any formal agreement.

the short version is, you are getting screwed. you CANNOT be paid 80 hours a week straight time
under federal labor laws.

$14 an hour? wtf? so you are getting 28 an hour. what level apprentice? apprentices start usually
around 35% of journeyman rate.

the short version is, prevailing wage means you get the prevailing wage, on the check.

it really pisses off the union guys, 'cause the non union guys get the full thing, with no dues obligation, etc.
PW should have the non union guys making more on the check than union guys.

it usually doesn't work out that way..... as you are discovering.
even at 35%, you should be getting about $35 per hour.

so two weeks should be $2,800, or $1,400 a week. how much did you get?

liquidtite

I was a 1st year apprentice when he started me at 14 ph. Anouther stub says 160 hours rate 14 take home 1752...anouther 160hours rate 14. Ot 11 hours rate 21 take home 1822..anouther 194:30 hours rate 14 ot 10:30 rate 21 take home 2118.69 anouther 194:30hours rate 14,ot rate 21 take home 2189... What I don't get is why he's puting more hours than I worked all are 80 hours plus the ot .but like someone said he's saying I worked less on his end do the paychecks add up to pw wages for apprentice

Last edited:

growler

If you are not in a federally approved apprentice program you must be paid as a JW the benefit package must be paid also unless these are already provided for and if they are equal if not then the difference is on the check.

Pay close attention to what Rewire is saying because if you are not in an approved program then you get full journeyman's pay.

If so the labor board will make sure you get it.

wolfman56

I was a 1st year apprentice when he started me at 14 ph. Anouther stub says 160 hours rate 14 take home 1752...anouther 160hours rate 14. Ot 11 hours rate 21 take home 1822..anouther 194:30 hours rate 14 ot 10:30 rate 21 take home 2118.69 anouther 194:30hours rate 14,ot rate 21 take home 2189... What I don't get is why he's puting more hours than I worked all are 80 hours plus the ot .but like someone said he's saying I worked less on his end do the paychecks add up to pw wages for apprentice

Something is missing in your numbers. I think you didn't account for your tax deductions when listing your take home. However I looked it up and you should be seeing on your gross pay before taxes somewhere close to; 24.87 per hour less company supplied benefits if any, plus an additional 12.26 for overtime hours. That's if you are in an approved apprentice program. No matter how you look at it $14 per hour does not seem to be right, unless your employer is putting additional money into benefits. Do you get medical insurance, or retirement?

I wonder if he's trying to, as I said before, alter the hours to look like compliance to PW rates. But the bookkeeper is getting it wrong and is adding hours instead of making them less. You need to go the the department of labor and have it all checked out.

RW

iwire

Staff member
If you are not in a federally approved apprentice program you must be paid as a JW

Pay close attention to what Rewire is saying because if you are not in an approved program then you get full journeyman's pay.

I agree with both of these guys.

When I used to run PW work I would get pissed off when the office would send temp help out because we had to pay guys with very limited skills full PW journeyman rates.

liquidtite

hours 160 rate 14,ot- hours 11 rate 21,, current 2,240.00 netpay 1,822 ... another stub hours 194 rate 14 Ot 10;30 rate 21 cureent 2,723..anouther stub.hours 194:30 rate 14-current,2723.)0t hours 16 rate 21 current 336..netpay 2189..anouther160 hours rate 14 current 2359.netpay 1752..i have others but its hard to tell if they were 80 hours of pw bc somedays I might be on nonrate and others might be pw..but as I see it shouldn't he have to put down what days are nonrate and what days are pw on check.the times above were deff all pw wage and I don't see why he puts down the non rate pay and bumps up the hours instead of putting down pw wage and correct hours ,im assuming he can get in trouble just for that not putting pw wage on check and putting more hours than I worked . when I was in ct I graduated from porter and chester institute im not shure if that counts or not..also the ot abouve is time and a half...thanks for your time im deff going to the board I just want to make shure im correct witch is obvious by looking at check

jumper

hours 160 rate 14,ot- hours 11 rate 21,, current 2,240.00 netpay 1,822 ... another stub hours 194 rate 14 Ot 10;30 rate 21 cureent 2,723..anouther stub.hours 194:30 rate 14-current,2723.)0t hours 16 rate 21 current 336..netpay 2189..anouther160 hours rate 14 current 2359.netpay 1752..i have others but its hard to tell if they were 80 hours of pw bc somedays I might be on nonrate and others might be pw..but as I see it shouldn't he have to put down what days are nonrate and what days are pw on check.the times above were deff all pw wage and I don't see why he puts down the non rate pay and bumps up the hours instead of putting down pw wage and correct hours ,im assuming he can get in trouble just for that not putting pw wage on check and putting more hours than I worked . when I was in ct I graduated from porter and chester institute im not shure if that counts or not..also the ot abouve is time and a half...thanks for your time im deff going to the board I just want to make shure im correct witch is obvious by looking at check

LT,

Please do not take this harshly, but the lack of punctuation and the use of text words in the post above is really hard to read.

I tend to break my my posts into small sections, as I am here, so that each part is easily read and can be quoted on if needed.

Your post above is really just a blob of words/letters to me and rather indecipherable IMHO.

liquidtite

I have one without net pay.. hours 194:30, rate 14-current 2723. ot 16hours rate 21current 336 netpay ..I mite just take a photo with out my name and company bc it confusing to writ this all down

liquidtite

Here are the stubs for pw 80 hr plus the ot ,the ot is time and 1/2,its nyc pw at apprentice wage. I graduated from porter and Chester in Brandford, CT. I have to see if that's a federal apprentice program I'm not sure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 0

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

this is really simple.

you are an hourly employee.
you are not a salaried employee.

you haven't indicated you are working
under a collective bargaining agreement.
are you? it makes a difference.

you have not indicated if you are working
within a state indentured apprenticeship
program. you would have had to sign papers.
did you? it makes a difference.

if BOTH of the answers to the above questions
are NO, then the man owes you a gross income,
before taxes, of the prevailing wage for all hours
worked.

work in excess of 40 hours per week shall be paid
at the rate of 1.5x the prevailing wage.

so, a 40 hour work week should give you a gross
pay before taxes of $98.13 x 40 = $3,925.40.

it doesn't matter how he lists your pay. it matters
how much the total is. accounting systems vary.
the worlds largest public utility has an accounting
system that is incomprehensible to most of the
people paid under it.

it doesn't matter. we know what the gross should
look like. if you are in a labor union, hours reported
will have a significant effect on pension reporting,
and health and welfare benefits, but that doesn't sound
like what is going on here.

so, focus, check out the two questions above, and then
see how much you got paid for two weeks work.

it should be $7,850.40.

and prevailing wage jobs invariably use certified payroll.

of course, if you were really smart, you'd wait till the job
is over, then file the claim for all the back wages, and
you will get paid.

for all of it.

if you bitch now, you will probably just get laid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.