Paralleled Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

How often do large feeders come paralleled? I assume this means all 3(if that's the make-up) are pulled at the same time?? So why we anyone apply a labor unit that is based on pulling 1 conductor as listed in NECA? I would imagine the labor would be very high. Anyone have a pic of a reel paralleled? Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
How often do large feeders come paralleled? I assume this means all 3(if that's the make-up) are pulled at the same time?? So why we anyone apply a labor unit that is based on pulling 1 conductor as listed in NECA? I would imagine the labor would be very high. Anyone have a pic of a reel paralleled? Thanks

I don't see how you could not pull them at the same time if they are going in the same conduit.

iwire

Staff member

Are you really asking about cables such as MC etc.?

If so we would pull them one at a time when dealing with those large sizes.

iwire

Staff member
no. Individua conductors

In that case all at once.

We may have them paralleled on one spool but that becomes too heavy if it is large and long conductors.

Often we just set up five spools, A, B, C, N & G.

We have wire feeders to help with the biggest stuff

332-6810.eps.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Local job last week, E/C had 32 reels with 150' of 500 kcmil, 3 conductors on each reel, all color coded. Pull seemed to go excellent.

kwired

Electron manager
In that case all at once.

We may have them paralleled on one spool but that becomes too heavy if it is large and long conductors.

Often we just set up five spools, A, B, C, N & G.

We have wire feeders to help with the biggest stuff

332-6810.eps.jpg

Is that you in the photo?

I have wire feeders also, it is usually any extra helpers I can round up.

cdslotz

So why we anyone apply a labor unit that is based on pulling 1 conductor as listed in NECA? I would imagine the labor would be very high. Anyone have a pic of a reel paralleled? Thanks

I think if you priced out factory paralleled feeder cable, the material price could offset the the labor savings.
You need to run the numbers AFTER you get the job to compare.
If the spec require factory paralleled cables and you bid it using 1 conductor, you might have a problem

dduffee260

The Greenlee feeders are more reliable.

I thought so also so we bought one. Now they have the " No Lube " or the " Simpull" wire which has a really slick coating on it. The cable feeder has a difficult time grabbing the wire to push it forward. Have you ever had to deal with this problem?

Also if I remember correctly it seems like the wire tried to slide out to the side and we need to fabricate something to remedy this.

Status
Not open for further replies.