Hospital renovations

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Does anybody know where I can get a manual detailing the procedures for doing renovations in a hospital? I know there are procedures required to prevent contamination of the other areas like ventilation, etc. This is in NYC so they probably have their own requirements also.

-Hal

cdslotz

Who would do a hospital renovation without an architect and engineer that specialize in these type facilities?
Are you doing the electrical design?

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Who would do a hospital renovation without an architect and engineer that specialize in these type facilities?
Are you doing the electrical design?

Compliance is part of the general terms and conditions. An architect or engineer also isn't going to tell you how to comply with the NEC, just to follow it. What I'm looking for is not design information, you are correct that that is supplied by the architect and engineer. From what I remember, in an operating hospital there are requirements for isolating the work area from the rest of the building, providing negative pressure ventilation, entrances and egress like you would use for asbestos and lead remediation. And I'm sure it gets even more complicated because of the spread of infectious diseases.

-Hal

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Compliance is part of the general terms and conditions. An architect or engineer also isn't going to tell you how to comply with the NEC, just to follow it.

-Hal

And the NEC is not going to tell you how to renovate a hospital, just what the end result must be.
However, at least an engineer or designer might tell you which codes you are expected to follow.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Well yeah, but remember this is NYC where they still uses typewriters. So don't expect much on the internet. And they probably would max out the internet with all their forms, permits and requirements anyway. :roll:

For an example of what I'm looking for I found this form: http://www.wvdhhr.org/ohflac/ls/forms/pre-construction_survey-internal_renovations.pdf from the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.

If you go to the CDC they require biological monitoring of air samples.

So I don't know if there is a certification required or a consultant has to be hired. I suppose the best way here is to do a RFI and/or call NYC HHC ask what the Infection Control Risk Assessment requirements are for construction and renovations (now that I know what to ask for).

If anybody else has any more input I would appreciate it.

-Hal

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Compliance is part of the general terms and conditions. An architect or engineer also isn't going to tell you how to comply with the NEC, just to follow it. What I'm looking for is not design information, you are correct that that is supplied by the architect and engineer. From what I remember, in an operating hospital there are requirements for isolating the work area from the rest of the building, providing negative pressure ventilation, entrances and egress like you would use for asbestos and lead remediation. And I'm sure it gets even more complicated because of the spread of infectious diseases.

-Hal

If you are bidding a project, I would expect the drawings and specs to say what is expected because requirements normally vary a lot depending on which part of a hospital the work is in.

But in general, I would expect basically what you mentioned. Dust barriers, negative pressure, walk off matts, frequent cleaning, filters on return ducts, wet cutting when possible. More sensitive areas may require HEPA air cleaners, requirements to wear paper overalls and clean outter clothes through sensitive areas, and anti-rooms at the dust barriers for putting on paper overalls, shoe covers, and hair nets.

Infectious diseases shouldn't be an issue - you shouldn't be in any areas that have infectious patients. Hospital staff should be doing any disinfecting and pre-cleaning and final cleaning.

Sometimes in OR's you need an air testing agency to come in before and after the work. The room has to be cleaner after you leave than before you started.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Infectious diseases shouldn't be an issue - you shouldn't be in any areas that have infectious patients. Hospital staff should be doing any disinfecting and pre-cleaning and final cleaning.

I believe they are concerned that pathogens (mostly mold spores) could get introduced into the HVAC system and travel to other parts of the building where people with compromised immune systems might be. That's why they want you to seal off the ductwork leading into and out of the work areas. SARS is also a big concern since it is airborn and highly contagious.

-Hal

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I believe they are concerned that pathogens (mostly mold spores) could get introduced into the HVAC system and travel to other parts of the building where people with compromised immune systems might be. That's why they want you to seal off the ductwork leading into and out of the work areas. SARS is also a big concern since it is airborn and highly contagious.

-Hal

well, my experience with calif. hospital remodels is there is usually an OSHPD inspector on site that provides the hoops you
have to jump thru.

i'd think that the asbestos abatement would be as stringent or more so than biologicals, but with your original post, SARS
popped into my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.