Ive never seen this before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

broke wire.jpg

During a home renovation we happened upon this .Im sure its hard to see by pic .What your looking at is 12-2 RX Colonial brand circa 1980s A black wire was cut/broken and taped together inside the jacket No butt connector just gray tape.Ive never seen this before it had to have been done at the factory.The wire was feeding the dinning room receptacles and must not have seen much use until we started plugging in drills ect.I went nuts trying to figure this out my volt tic said power in the attic come down into the room no power look the wire over and nothing no nicks holes ect.Anyone ever seen this before?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Found it one time. Lost power to an outlet, Luckily the Romex was accessible on the back side. Apparently a factory splice.
I worked at a wire manufacturing plant at one time and they did the same. A a reel of bare wire ended, the trail was clamped and another wire butt welded to it and on to the insulation process.
Think it's common place, but they run so many thousands of feet of smaller wire before having to splice, it may be rare and failures even more so.

(a reason for combination arc-fault breakers)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
On top of a file cabinet at our shop is a piece of 6/3 romex that was "spliced" at the factory and then sent out.

We found it when the range in a new log cabin would not work. Since it was a log cabin it was major surgery to replace it.

kwired

Electron manager
Found it one time. Lost power to an outlet, Luckily the Romex was accessible on the back side. Apparently a factory splice.
I worked at a wire manufacturing plant at one time and they did the same. A a reel of bare wire ended, the trail was clamped and another wire butt welded to it and on to the insulation process.
Think it's common place, but they run so many thousands of feet of smaller wire before having to splice, it may be rare and failures even more so.

(a reason for combination arc-fault breakers)

Seen that before also. Kind of makes you wonder if they simply forgot to weld the two together for some reason when this happens.

rt66electric

Seen one

Seen one

I have found a similar factory splice, but luckily enough I "felt" the bulge wilst unspooling a decided to cut open the "bulge" under the outside sheathing.

Another horror story is to find a "frayed bad" spot on the spool at the 400 ft mark of a 500ft run.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
View attachment 9053

During a home renovation we happened upon this .Im sure its hard to see by pic .What your looking at is 12-2 RX Colonial brand circa 1980s A black wire was cut/broken and taped together inside the jacket No butt connector just gray tape.Ive never seen this before it had to have been done at the factory.The wire was feeding the dinning room receptacles and must not have seen much use until we started plugging in drills ect.I went nuts trying to figure this out my volt tic said power in the attic come down into the room no power look the wire over and nothing no nicks holes ect.Anyone ever seen this before?

I've had people I've worked with over the years tell me they have seen this. While I have never seen it, judging by what others are saying, it must be real.

kwired

Electron manager
Understand you may not typed at job I did clear up I hope this does make fun nice it is not
Sorry, I admit I was not an English major, but I either should have paid more attention in language arts classes, or this is pig latin or some other code, or this makes no sense at all:(

stevenje

Sorry, I admit I was not an English major, but I either should have paid more attention in language arts classes, or this is pig latin or some other code, or this makes no sense at all:(

Pig Latin. The language of my youth. A classmate named Chuck Forward always comes to mind. :eek:hmy:

Status
Not open for further replies.