208v circuit count

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Mrlucky, a circuit has nothing to do with the number of poles the breaker has.

Here is one definition of an electrical circuit.
However, if you try to apply that definition to every use within the NEC you end up with problems like a dedicated circuit including the feeder and even service wires in addition to the branch wires. (In other words, I do not think that particular definition helps here.)

iwire

Staff member
However, if you try to apply that definition to every use within the NEC you end up with problems like a dedicated circuit including the feeder and even service wires in addition to the branch wires. (In other words, I do not think that particular definition helps here.)

I do not see any problem with it at all.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I do not see any problem with it at all.

Ok. Then any raceway that contains a feeder contains ad many cicuits as there are branches in the subpanel it feeds?
Or that a branch is everything past the last OCPD but the branch circuit extends all the way back to or beyond the service?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ok. Then any raceway that contains a feeder contains ad many cicuits as there are branches in the subpanel it feeds?
No, the raceway contains a circuit that happens to be defined as a "feeder"

Or that a branch is everything past the last OCPD but the branch circuit extends all the way back to or beyond the service?
The NEC has already defined a branch circuit no need to try to modify it.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
No, the raceway contains a circuit that happens to be defined as a "feeder"

The NEC has already defined a branch circuit no need to try to modify it.

Roger

True, but when learning basic electricity a "circuit" must typically have a source and at least one load and conductors between them, an overcurrent device is not a source. It is the beginning point of a NEC defined branch circuit or a feeder though.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
True, but when learning basic electricity a "circuit" must typically have a source and at least one load and conductors between them, an overcurrent device is not a source. It is the beginning point of a NEC defined branch circuit or a feeder though.
And hence my concern that applying the basic electricity definition of "circuit" when trying to count "branch circuits" may not be the most helpful way to look at it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.